New member signing in

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
paggers

New member signing in

Post by paggers »

Hi folks - although I expect to mostly be lurking I thought it would be polite to make my number and say hello.

A little bit about myself; I was a late comer to biking and one of the primary reasons I got into biking was watching the 'Long Way Round' series with Ewan and Charlie. While the idea of riding off-road did not really appeal I started to see the appeal of two wheels and so in 2004 I did a 'Direct Access' course and started commuting to work by bike (Kawasaki ER-5 in those days).

Although I added both 'Long Way Down' and 'Ride to Dakar' to my collection I was still very much a road rider, graduating in 2008 to a BMW F800 ST. However, at just over 6' tall I couldn't get on with the F800 ST as I would end up with cramps in my thigh muscles after 90 minutes of riding. So in 2010 I swapped it for a new R1200 GS, which was the beginning of my love affair with adventure bikes. Unfortunately I found the GS a very tiring bike to ride - I have problems with my lower back and it's just too big and heavy - so I decided it was time to move to something smaller and lighter. At the same time an opportunity came up for a new job which would allow me to get back to daily commuting by bike.

I had already sold the GS and yesterday I picked up my new (to me) 2009 Kawasaki Versys 650. This will primarily be used as a road-going vehicle but I seem to have finally overcome my lack of interest in riding off-road. My plan is to book myself in for a course with 'Off Road Skills', make sure it is definitely something I am up to. If it really takes off for me then I may look to either replace (or add to) the Versys with an F800 GS.

In terms of adventures, my parents live in the south of Spain so one trip I am already thinking about is riding down there and then exploring their local area. Beyond that, I live just outside North Wales so I reckon there is plenty for me to explore both on and off road.

Here are a few pictures of my new bike. Hopefully I may meet a few of you along the way.

nethen1

Re: New member signing in

Post by nethen1 »

Hello from sunny Preston :) (thumbs)
Are we stoppin for a brew !

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHnqi2JsFoNCV6ktRGEOVXQ/playlists

Braaaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppp :)
Alun

Post by Alun »

Welcome to ABR.
moto al

Post by moto al »

Hi welcome ,Glasgow.al
image_2015-05-29.jpg
image_2015-05-29.jpg (215.68 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
moto al
klr.it

Post by klr.it »

Welcome from Northumberland .
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Welcome aboard from Somerset.

Lovely shiny bike that. Off roading is super fun :)
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
kev.t

Post by kev.t »

hello from the lovely lancashire
StephenMac

Post by StephenMac »

Hi Paggers,

Welcome to the forum from a sunny N, Ireland.
I've been a wild rover for many's a year...............
paggers

Post by paggers »

Thanks for the warm welcome folks.
nethen1 wrote:Hello from sunny Preston :) (thumbs)
Nethen1 - my new job is in Preston so who knows, we may bump into each other out on the road.
jonesthesteam

Post by jonesthesteam »

Great bike in the best colour, have a look at Versys.co.uk for all the info you need, one hint i can give is don't ride it too low down the Rev range, these bikes are happiest from 4 to 5k onwards, and they sound great with an aftermarket can

All the best

Jonesy

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”