New girl from Leamington!!

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
alicia

Re: New girl from Leamington!!

Post by alicia »

ChasF wrote:
GUNDOG wrote:Hullo......:kiss:
Down boy!!

Alicia, welcome to the forum, a very friendly place as I'm sure you've noticed - as "Adventure Riders" we know just about everything there is to know about all aspects of motorcycling (collectively) but the one thing we can't claim to know anything about is getting your knee down unless it's a result of falling off:( Once you've mastered it you can teach us, although I'm not sure I'm up for trying on knobbly tyres
I tell you what then, hows about you teach me how to ride off road without breaking my neck and i'll teach you how to get your knee down! Sounds like a good deal to me :woohoo:
alicia

Post by alicia »

Em-J wrote:Hey Alicia! Great to see you on here! :) Bike's looking the business, hope you've been able to take advantage of some of the bank hol sunshine!? glad you're enjoying her. The ABR Midlands Rally's happening in Stratford on 19-20 August - be great to see you there! :laugh: XX
Thanks lady! I'm SO glad I bumped into you at the pub, you've opened up a whole new exciting world to me!

Well I do have some holiday from work on the 19-20th August, so as long as I don't go away on holiday I'll be at the rally :woohoo:
alicia

Post by alicia »

CRAIGREVO wrote:
ChasF wrote: I get my knee down all the time. :blush:
That's so funny!! I showed my mates at work this photo earlier, and they laughed too!! :lol:
alicia

Post by alicia »

mr.adi wrote: hi alicia, i agree with lancastermick.. remember mr.sanders? traveled the world with thousands of miles of gravels on his R1 didn't he?
:blush: I've just had to google Mr. Sanders....and I think I may be placing an order on amazon later!!
HP2Mav

Post by HP2Mav »

Welcome to the madhouse :woohoo:

So you need to get yourself a little dirtbike so you can come playing on the lanes with us. Alternatively you can just join us at the pub afterwards :)
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

alicia wrote:I'm definitely not taking the CBR offroading! But would love to get an old scruffy bike to go out and play on - not sure what to get though...any ideas? :huh:
The Yamaha TTR 250 looks like a great bike for green lanes. ;)
alicia

Post by alicia »

beddowsm wrote:
alicia wrote:Well all this talk of off-roading sounds like fun - I want to find out more about it! :woohoo:
It is fun. I started with sports bikes and last one I had was a ZX7R. But moved towards trail riding as it gets you places you would never see. Some lovely countryside out there. And a trail bike is a great way of seeing it all! And the people on these forums (ABR, XRV etc etc) are a great bunch of people. Took my wife to the first XRV event last year and she loves to attend as well.

Now got an Africa Twin and it gets me to this kind of fun...

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/ride-repor ... -coed.html

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/ride-repor ... march.html

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/ride-repor ... rails.html

My advice would be to start small and get a nice small trail bike.The @ is a heavy beast off road.
Those ride reports are wicked. I liked your comment about 'shiny bike syndrome' and the water splashes look like loads of fun!

I think you're right about starting small - there's no way I'd be able to pick your bike up, I'd do my back in...:pinch:

We're so lucky to have such beautiful countryside, and you can't really appreciate it when you're haring round country bends...so off-roading does look really appealing! And a challenge!
Morph

Post by Morph »

alicia wrote:Who on earth is SWMBO? Have I missed out on some young text jargon or is this a codename for your nearest and dearest?!
She Who Must Be Obeyed!
The lightest piece of kit is the one you leave behind...
hornet

Post by hornet »

ChasF wrote:
GUNDOG wrote:Hullo......:kiss:
Down boy!!

Alicia, welcome to the forum, a very friendly place as I'm sure you've noticed - as "Adventure Riders" we know just about everything there is to know about all aspects of motorcycling (collectively) but the one thing we can't claim to know anything about is getting your knee down unless it's a result of falling off:( Once you've mastered it you can teach us, although I'm not sure I'm up for trying on knobbly tyres
As you mentioned there is a collective knowledge but your wrong about knee downs as im sure that im not the only one here who has a long history of sports bikes and yes my knee has intentioally spent many happy times scrapping the tarmac on the road (but not track)
I must confess that its very funny watching wallies hanging off there bikes like baboons desperatly trying to achive the god like status of knee down-ness.

My advice (even if you dont want it) forget even moving on your bike learn to read the road and learn correct lane positioning and observation look where your going to be not where you are. The standard hero blobs (the bolt that hangs down from your footpeg) are pretty low on the cbr when they beggin to scrap and your rear tyre will show wear to within 20mm of the edge then its time to move a little in the saddle ,after all the entire point of allowing your knee to touch the ground is you have moved your body to allow the bike to remain more upright hence travel faster round the corner. It can also act as a guage to check your not overdoing it depending on what tyres your running. The harder you try the less chance of touch down it should happen as a result of good progresive riding on the right road .a quite one you know well in good conditions with no traffic a good surface and a mate to call for help is never a bad idea a second gear corner is ideal.

I hope this information helps but to be honest i just wouldnt bother nearly ever rider at every cafe/roadside meet etc stands around in brand new slidders or having scrapped them down the garage wall which is always funny when they do it in the wromg direction.

A better idea is a bit of IAM trainning use all of your tyres and leave the knee down monkeys behind in the corners then laugh as they ton up to catch up.

The CBR is a capable machine (yup I had one) and in all fairness is a do it all machine but nope not the best in the mud.

hornet
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
alicia

Post by alicia »

Nicoli wrote: Hey, well I'm just starting out on the bike. Me and Jin have a 125 between us at the mo.

Once she can drive I'm selling my car to get a bike as I've had enough of the car lol

So far I just really go to work and back as it's only a little street bike and SWMBO would kill me if I damaged it off road :P
That's fantastic! 125s are great to learn on and it's cool that you both use it ;) Sounds like you've got yours sights set on an off-road bike, fair play!

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”