Newbie here....

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
Ravers

Newbie here....

Post by Ravers »

Hi,

Found this place by accident. Looks like a great site.

I'm fairly new to all this, I only passed my test last month but have been tearing around on 125s and riding off road bikes since I was a kid. I also do a lot of hill walking and camping (I live in the Lake District), so combining my two main hobbies by getting an adventure bike is obviously quite appealing!

I went to look at a secondhand V Strom DL650 today and it had an ABR sticker on it so I decided to come and check the site out.

The bike looks good, it's got pretty high mileage (38k) but otherwise it looks like it's been very well looked after. The previous owner has nicely kitted it out with crash bars, ali panniers, top box, tank bag, sat nav bracket, heated grips, scot oiler, centre stand, bash plate, LED strip lights etc.

It's a 2008 in black. Sound familiar anyone?

Anyway before I dive in and buy it I'd appreciate some advice if possible?

Do you think 38k is too much mileage for a bike like this? I hear the DL650 is pretty bulletproof but is that pushing it a bit? I'm an engineer so don't mind getting my hands dirty occasionally, but I don't want to spend more time under it than on it.

Anyone run one of these? What are they like as a day to bike? I'd like to use it for some adventures all year round, maybe even some European trips and the odd commute. It will be my first 'big bike' so to speak. I've had a various 125 supermotos and MX bikes over the years and I ride a totally battered old XR400 off road, but this is obviously totally different.

Is it an OK bike for a beginner, or should I consider something else? I'm 6'2" so not too bothered about the size of it. I did my test on an XJ6 which I found pretty dull truth be told.

My other option is a low mileage KLE500 that a bloke at work is selling for 1500 quid, but I hear they're a bit shit, no one seems to have a good word to say about them. :)

Anyone else based in Cumbria? Sounds a bit sad but I don't really know anyone else up here who's into adventure riding (or any kind of biking), would be good to meet some new people.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any replies. Looking forward to getting into adventure riding.
bond_yzf

Re: Newbie here....

Post by bond_yzf »

Welcome!
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Hi Ravers and welcome to the site :)

Can't really advise on the bike but I can certainly sympathise, I passed my test last year and apart from the ABR gang don't know any other bikers. Get yourself along to some rallies they are terrific fun :) Also the magazine is a cracking read and full of reviews on camping and bikes.

XR400 are suddenly really popular and prices seem to be on the up. Got any photos of yours?

Cheers

Bren
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
moto al

Post by moto al »

Hi welcome too the MAD hoose Moto Al ECOSSE (thumbs)
moto al
Ravers

Post by Ravers »

Cheers for the warm welcome!

No phots of the XR I'm afraid, it's sat in my brother in law's garage at the moment, keeping his CRF250 company.

We're hoping they'll breed and produce a 50cc motocross bike for my son.
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

Hi mate, welcome to ABR.

38k on a DL650 or any adv bike is not too high, many get well above that, their there to use not polish.
Plenty of extras too, seems like a good buy.

When you're out and about pop into here http://www.takodacamping.webs.com/ for a cuppa, Paul the owner is on here.
Plus we have a rally there every year. http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... -2015.html great way to meet other ABR,s.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
Ravers

Post by Ravers »

Treadtrader wrote:Hi mate, welcome to ABR.

38k on a DL650 or any adv bike is not too high, many get well above that, their there to use not polish.
Plenty of extras too, seems like a good buy.

When you're out and about pop into here http://www.takodacamping.webs.com/ for a cuppa, Paul the owner is on here.
Plus we have a rally there every year. http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... -2015.html great way to meet other ABR,s.
Happy days, that's about 10 miles from my house so I'll definitely check it out.

I'm pretty sold on the V Strom. I'd already made up my mind, just needed someone to give me that gentle nudge.

Just need to convince the missus now. She'll be cool with it. I'f not I'll hide it in the back of the garage behind a load of junk. She'll never know. ;)
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Hi Ravers,

can't help with the DL650 I'm afraid but my mate lives in the lakes. He rides a Super Tenere and has a deli/café in Coniston.

cheers, Bob.
one-legged adventurer
Ravers

Post by Ravers »

This is the bike I went to see this morning:

ScreenShot2014-10-21at16.46.44.png
ScreenShot2014-10-21at16.46.44.png (532.73 KiB) Viewed 1748 times
Ravers

Post by Ravers »

This is the bike I went to see this morning: