Hello from Lancashire

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
vRSG60

Hello from Lancashire

Post by vRSG60 »

Hello all.
My name is Shaun, a Lambretta rider from Barrowford Lancashire, who's currently put 1 of my 2 Lambrettas up for sale to buy a motor bike capable of taking me further afield. Lammys are to unreliable to go any distance I've found.

I'm looking at a number of models, the BMW F650 being one of them and the other a Suzuki DL650 V-Strom. I'd be interested to hear opinions regarding the 2 models.

My aim is a 2 or 3 week tour of Europe next summer, not something I'd contemplate on a Lambretta without a truck full of spares.

So, I'm on the lookout for an F650 or V-Strom, preferable with top box & panniers, at around £2750. But 1st I need to sell my Lambretta to raise the funds.
It's on EBay as we speak with the usual 50+ watchers/timewasters.

Of course if anyone wants to PX an F650 or V-Strom for a 1964 Lambretta Li125 (150cc engine fitted) then get in touch

Shaun
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
tefflon

Re: Hello from Lancashire

Post by tefflon »

Hi vRsG60

Welcome aboard hope you enjoy this site it's full of very friendly people with helpful tips
Earwig

Post by Earwig »

vRSG60 wrote:Hello all.
My name is Shaun, a Lambretta rider from Barrowford Lancashire, .......

I'm looking at a number of models, the BMW F650 being one of them and the other a Suzuki DL650 V-Strom. ......

Shaun
Welcome from across the boarder (Yorkshire :evil: )

Do you mean something like this
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/bikes ... GN-3175644

The F650GS also comes as an 800cc twin :) which is a very underrated bike, but to get one, you would need to up your budget

http://www.bmwapprovedusedbikes.co.uk/b ... pUMzI1Nzc=
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Earwig wrote:
Welcome from across the boarder (Yorkshire :evil: )

Do you mean something like this
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/bikes ... GN-3175644
That's exactly what I mean, I went to look at it on Saturday and it's just my cup of tea. I had a good offer for my Lammy but the usual excuses today about struggling to get the money together just yet!!!!

I going to look at this on Friday - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231288255323? ... EBIDX%3AIT

And this tomorrow - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331272432019? ... EBIDX%3AIT

I'm hoping the Lammy sells soon.
Rederic

Post by Rederic »

[center]Welcome Aboard[/center]

[center]From west lanc's (thumbs) [/center]
If your not the lead dog the view never change's
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

Welcome neighbour.....from Colne..
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

lancashirelad wrote:Welcome neighbour.....from Colne..
Very close. Skoda driver too. I had a vRS SE until recently. Yeti now Plus a Rallye Golf G60;
chrisinflight

Post by chrisinflight »

Welcome from East Lancs. (thumbs)
My thoughts- The Suzuki has a cracking V-twin engine, economical and powerful. A good tourer but not really suited to anything off road.
The BMW is a proven steed equally as economical and I have seen one make easy stuff of some gnarly trails albeit with uprated suspension. So, V-strom- better tourer, BMW- better all-rounder. If you are spending upwards of 2.5k I would only look at sub 20k mileage.
chris
2016 Beta 300rr- In the 2 stroke come-back club!

vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Thanks for that advice Chris, not sure I'd be doing much offroad mainly road work. But you never know.
It may surprise you all but the only motor bike I've ridden was the ER6 I passed my test on last year. Lambrettas since then, though I do get out and about, 100 miles in a day isn't unknown, unless it breaks down (often). So I've nothing really to compare each bike to.

I've sat on both and with the suspension wound down on the V-Strom I could put both balls of my feet on the floor (I'm 5'-6") I also sat on a Fazer and that felt OK too.
flamair

Post by flamair »

V Strom all the way for Euro touring. Bigger, better value and cheap to maintain.

I've yet to go on a tour (I'm a part time Tour Guide for a tour company) where a Beemer hasn't gone wrong for one reason or another. The last tour I did to Croatia, a knackered clutch was the culprit. I was considering buying one until I realised how unreliable they can be. We even build a day in to allow for all the topping up of oil that's needed!! (Well almost a day!)

If you decide off road, then the V Strom is not the bike. But then again, I wouldn't buy the Beemer for off road either - it's better than the V Strom but not the best out there by any means. There are better options available, though you may need a bigger budget for some of the options.

Get a Suzy and you'll soon forget the unreliability issues of the Lambretta!!
Remember, you're unique!

(Just like everyone else)

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”