Noob!

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
Paul C

Noob!

Post by Paul C »

Hi guys, just signed up and looking forward to the first issue. Great site too.

I'm a relatively new biker (about 16000 miles) and I'd really like a 1200GS Adventure. I have started my "research" and have a couple of questions:

1)I've seen lots of bikes dropped on river crossings (YouTube) and wondered if the bikes are protected against sucking in water somehow. What damage does this typically do?

2)If/when I get a GS Adventure, would it be acceptable to leave knobbly tyres on for my backroad (unclassified roads) commute? I'm thinking they'd be better on the gravel, potholes, roadkill and branches etc. I ride all year, any weather and hope they'd be a little more sure-footed in bad weather too.

I've ridden plenty of off-road on my MTB and now fancy some powered trail riding. Any general advice, gratefully received.

- Paul C
...I just want to ride!
Alun

Re:Noob!

Post by Alun »

Hi Paul and welcome to the site and here's hoping you get that GS soon. I've been toying with getting one over the past 18 months but still finding too many things I like about the Tiger, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I join the GS clan.

Fortunately, I've never dropped my bike in a river deep enough to worry about, which is probably a sign that I've not ridden hard enough yet. So I can't help you too much with your question other than to say it's not a good idea to submerge anything that isn't a submarine. Trailqiest is your best bet for a definitive answer and hopefully he'll be around soon. And what sort/brand of knobblies were you thinking of – we also have a resident tyre expert here, Treadtrader.

Your MTB experience will help you into off-road motorcycling, most of the principles are the same including it hurts a lot less if you don't come off.

Do you have any travel and touring plans?
Paul C

Post by Paul C »

I'd get a GS tomorrow given half a chance, but sadly I have no idea if I can even afford one, plus I've still got 18 months to pay on my MT-03!

Tyre wise, I was thinking of just running the stock knobblies unless there's a good reason not to. I don't really know anything about tyres, half the reason I here.

I have a young family so travel plans are limited to the odd day here and there. Occasional long weekends. I'd like to find something local-ish to practice on too, but appreciate going solo might not be a good idea. I'd be using it for year round commuting too, hence the questions on tyres.

I'd really like a week or so adventure touring in Europe somewhere, but I'd want some experience first. I like the idea of "roughing it", camping along the trail.

It's not fair, I want a GS NOW!
...I just want to ride!
Alun

Post by Alun »

From what I've noticed most GS riders stick with the stock tyres, so you've no problems there unless you're planning on going to work via the mud roads of the Congo..

It's a big, heavy bike to take off road and you'll know from your MTB experience that having a lightweight, manoeuvrable bike is the way to go. Maybe for now you'd be better off looking for a cheap second hand 'trail' bike to brush up on those skills and have some fun whilst saving for the GS. In the meantime, there's nothing to say you can't tour Europe on the MT-03 – post up a pic of the bike Colin (my son is doing a 2000 mile Euro tour by pushbike this summer).

And I know all about young families; with three children aged 23, 21 and 19 I've now found myself with a 4th, aged 8months – some of us never learn, eh.
Paul C

Post by Paul C »

Maybe for now you'd be better off looking for a cheap second hand 'trail' bike to brush up on those skills and have some fun whilst saving for the GS
Any suggestions for such a bike?
there's nothing to say you can't tour Europe on the MT-03 – post up a pic of the bike
Except the amazingly small fuel tank (15 litres), zero on-board storage and no creature comforts. Plus I'd really want to mix on and off road. Took my wife out as pillion for first time yesterday, we where both shattered when we got back and we'd only done 30 miles!

Will try to get a pic up soon.
I've now found myself with a 4th, aged 8months – some of us never learn, eh.
:)
...I just want to ride!
Trailqiest

Post by Trailqiest »

Hi Paul and welcome!

I saw your questions about the 1200GS and river crossings. I posted some info on this a while back - look at the Whats Up tap and the the article on River Crossings In Iceland.

No water crossing should ever be taken lightly as the risks can be considerable and damage if all goes wrong expensive.

If the worst happens you should -

1. Drain the exhaust by upending the bike ( now here is a good reason why 1200GS machines are not really suitable for off road work - try doing this on your own!!)

2. Drain the petrol tank.

3. Drain carb and dry filter.

4. Change oil.

5. remove spark plug and drain

6. Be patient and let everything dry!

Seriously avoid river crossing unless you have the experience.
Trailqiest

Post by Trailqiest »

Hi Paul

Just noticed the second question.

Tricky things knobbly tyres! I ride on them all the time as my machine is more off than on road.

The real issue is grip in the wet on ordinary road surfaces. They are simply not good for those conditions and offer very little grip so although the "look the part" they are unsuitable for daily commuting all year round. They also wear out really fast on tarmac.

Many manufacturers produce a wide range of tyre for all types of surface. Some are good for sand, some mud, some gravel etc etc. There are several multi purpose tyres available. It will pay to research further.

Richard
www.trailquestadventure.com
Trailqiest

Post by Trailqiest »

Hi Paul
I agree with Alan - start your off road motorcycling with something small (125 -250cc) and progress up to the 1200GS over time. There are loads of small bikes available from cheap Chinese imports to more expensive brands as well as an active second hand market. All are capable of some introductory off road work. Also, get some proper off road training. It is essential you learn the basics and get into "good habits" from the outset.

Richard
www.trailquestadventure.com
Alun

Post by Alun »

Touring on the MT-03 would be like travelling by luxury armchair when compared to some of the older bikes. I once rode 3000 miles around the UK on a CZ175 which is the equivalent of travelling 10 times RTW sitting on a disintegrating plank of wood that leaks oil. I loved those days, shame about the calluses.
Paul C

Post by Paul C »

Thanks guys. You've given me a lot to think about. Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday; I was MTBing 27 miles in the mountains of East Anglia all evening ;).

As most of my miles are commuting, it makes sense for me to use road tyres and switch to knobblies for any off-roading. Switching tyres is not something I'd like to do too frequently, but as I've said before; I wouldn't have chance to go off-road in any major way (regularity or severity), at least not yet.

I presume road tyres would be OK for light off-roading such as fire-road double-track or smooth flowing single-track? I'm not thinking mud or rock gardens and I'll steer clear of any river crossings!

I'll look into getting a cheap practice bike and some off-road training.

Oh, and here's my bike (although it's rarely that clean!):
My_Bike_small.jpg
My_Bike_small.jpg (122.04 KiB) Viewed 4082 times

Thanks again!

- Paul C
...I just want to ride!

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”