ABR Issue 32 route files - The Viking Way

Bryn

ABR Issue 32 route files - The Viking Way

Post by Bryn »

Following on from The Cotswold Way (which we detailed in issue 31 of ABR magazine) we rode Lincolnshire's Viking Way in issue 32. The emphasis of these rides is on exploring our wonderful island by following one of our many long distance footpaths as closely as possible in the saddle of a bike, and the Viking Way is a perfect route to follow if you want to explore a part of the UK which isn't traditionally known for its biking roads. Starting in the shadow of the Humber Bridge, the Viking Way takes you through the Lincolnshire Wolds before crossing the dead-flat fens and finishing in Oakham. Allow yourself a full day to explore the area fully and you won't be dissapointed.

We've plotted the route out so that you can download it, stick it in your SatNav and ride it. Simply right click on the attachment below called 'ABR TomTom Viking Way route.gpx' and choose 'Save Link As', once you've saved it to your computer load it into your SatNav as per the manufacturers instructions and get riding!

ABRTomTomRouteFilesissue32-TheVikingWay.PNG
ABRTomTomRouteFilesissue32-TheVikingWay.PNG (925.1 KiB) Viewed 3930 times
ABRTomTomVikingWayroute.gpx
(452.61 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
Philiptigerrice

Re: ABR Issue 32 route files - The Viking Way

Post by Philiptigerrice »

Fab - thanks for that! I was in Hull the other week, and popper over the Bridge to find the starting point of this ride, in anticipation of you publishing it.

My brother is a new rider - in Hull - so I think this will be my first exercise in using a GPX file on my new (to me) BMW Navigator IV in a few weeks - and I'll take him for a bimble along this route (thumbs)
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
yoda

Post by yoda »

If you're starting or finishing at the humber bridge car park near Barton on Humber, there's a good nature reserve close by east of the bridge on the Humber bank called the Waters Edge visitor centre not far from the view point car park, it has a nice café with decking overlooking the reserve and decent clean loo's, behind it a good view of the bridge with free parking as well. Just up the road west of the bridge is also the Far Ings nature reserve area, free parking, picknic benches and toilets.
Chaos is the only camouflage that incompetence needs to operate at full capacity.

I dunno where that road goes, might as well go take a look anyway there's no where else i need to be right now.
Philiptigerrice

Post by Philiptigerrice »

Yep - you can see gods Own City from their too... Hull B)
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
Tigger Rider

Post by Tigger Rider »

Hi all okay I am a newbee on here and need some help ( great Mag by the way)

I have been given a new Tom Tom Rider 400 for Xmas quality and done all the downloads and updates so all sorted.

I went to download one of the routes and like a plonker accidentally clicked adobe reader to open it with which is clearly wrong. but now everytime I download the file it automatically goes to Adobe?

so one how do I stop that from happening two do i save the route to a file then drag and drop to Tom Tom?

sorry but thought I would ask here first?

Return to “England”