Sarn Helen

jasext

Re: Sarn Helen

Post by jasext »

This is the start of the Sarn helen, go up towards sennybridge but be carefull as it is quite busy with other users
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=28 ... 11688&lm=0

Dont do this bit as it has a seasonal TRO on it and it's closed
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?x=2 ... 08353&lm=0
Bongoman

Post by Bongoman »

Cheers , prob won't get up there till later in the year
So hopefully they will all be open
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

The rest of it (to the North) is still used by some, but you might get pulled and charged for illegal riding as some regard this part as a restricted byway. The TRF got some memeber off of a charge recently but it was dropped withouth going to court so no president was set. if you fancy taking a chance then ride it, but in my mind i wouldn't, which is why i no longer organise trips to that area.

Redbikejohn,
You are partly correct in what you say about the Kent TRF riders being taken to court. But in a nutshell the BBNPA decided not to pursue the matter in the face of the TRF legal team defending their members.

I recently queried the current status of Sarn Helen (not the section subject to a seasonal TRO) and was advised that it remains the opinion of the TRF that vehicular rights continue and that the TRF will defend any of it's members riding Sarn Helen in the unlikely event of a prosecution.

The advice from National officers of the TRF is that Sarn Helen is believed to have "retained it's vehicle rights post NERC" -nothing else is necessary to be said to justify why you are using the route.

Please also note in the unlikely event of prosecution the TRF will NOT defend any riders who are not TRF members, in my opinion a very strong argument for anyone considering riding contentious routes to join the TRF.
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

The police have told me they will consider prosecution on a 'case by case basis.'

I would strongly advise anyone contemplating riding it to join the TRF, display the TRF sticker on their bike and ride strictly to the TRF code of conduct.

The TRF will not defend irresponsible riding, or non members who use that route.

And if you think the TRF sub is expensive, just ask a lawyer how much he charges an hour...

If you wan the TRF to defend you, remember: you have to be in it to win it!
EarthWorm

Post by EarthWorm »

dOUBLE POST
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration
EarthWorm

Post by EarthWorm »

The TRF no longer say they will defend members on the Sarn.
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Why is that then? Not that I trail ride anymore.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
GFJ1

Post by GFJ1 »

The bottom part (roughly from sennybridge south) has a TRO on it. We couldn't use it at the recent Taffy Dakar, and also had to find an alternative on the north south route we were doing a couple of weeks back.
EarthWorm

Post by EarthWorm »

The wan... I mean Warden is of the opinion that no part of it is legal
hotbulb

Post by hotbulb »

That's disappointing ... I don't trail-ride, and I haven't been laning in the Landrover for many years, but I'm annoyed that the repairs I and others did to the southern section (probably 20 years ago) no longer benefit legitimate users. Those repairs were done with the full cooperation of the relevant Authorities, Sarn Helen being a public "road".
Bloody treehuggers/Ramblers!

Return to “Wales”