Sarn Helen

Kendo

Sarn Helen

Post by Kendo »

Hi All,

Me and a few mates are planning a bimble out to wales on Monday (Subject to SWMBO permission!). The route is one i found that Alun suggested in an earlier post :-

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.com/ ... cale=en_US

Anyway it ends at Sarn Helen and we were wandering if anyone has been along that route recently? Also would it be 'Doable' on road tyres or will it be a bit knarley?

Any advice welcome.

Cheers
Steve
Alun

Re: Sarn Helen

Post by Alun »

It's doable on road tyres but you're more likely to end up sending the bike home in a few boxes with DHL.

We've nothing to compare with Sarn Helen around Stratford. If you want to do the route with a smile on your face rather than clenching your arse then TKC's are a minimum and I'd probably not want to do it on anything bigger than an XT660. That's not to say you can't do it on a bigger bike, it's just that the fun factor goes up the smaller the bike on a route like this.
Kendo

Post by Kendo »

Would be on our 800's! Is there an 'end' that is fairly easy so we can have a little bit of fun then turn round and come back?
dragonwheels

Post by dragonwheels »

Best if you start on the Ystradfelte/Heol Senny road that way you can run up 2 directions for a bit before you turn round - and you will have to on 800's unless you're pretty handy and running knobblies.

There's a roman road out of nearby Trecastle that runs toowards Llandovery that's a bit more palatable and traversable on big trailies - but again, especially if it's been wet you'll need really good tyres.

If you just fancy buggering around on some fire roads you can access from the coelbren end of Sarn helen a few miles that are legal but don't go anywhere. Msg me for details as I'd rather not advertise their presence too widely. We have Waymarked maps of lanes in the Touratech shop - open Mon-Sat. If you want a guide - I can probably sort as well
"Never trust a man who tells you he never feels the need to get drunk, he's either lying , or not paying attention"
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

remember the only part that is 100% legal and ok to ride is the lower section (marked with red crosses on the OS map). its also subject to a TRO for most of the year and i think it (the open season)runs out at the end of August.
This is the bit from Dyffren Cellwyn (the upper part) down to Aberdulias in the south.

The rest of it (to the North) is still used by some, but you might get pulled and charged for illegal riding as some regard this part as a restricted byway. The TRF got some memeber off of a charge recently but it was dropped withouth going to court so no president was set. if you fancy taking a chance then ride it, but in my mind i wouldn't, which is why i no longer organise trips to that area.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
jasext

Post by jasext »

There is quite a few pics here of the terrain ,lots of locals ride it regular from Colbren up ,never had any issues

http://www.vdsr.co.uk/index.php?topic=6608.0

Dont attempt it if your on road tyres and if it's been raining ,the rocks are very slippery and you could dmage your bike quite badly
Kendo

Post by Kendo »

Well we are going tomorrow so dragonwheels, is TT open tomorrow for us to get a map/guide?

Cheers
Steve
scrambled eggs

Post by scrambled eggs »

they are all up at dawn to dusk enduro
Kendo

Post by Kendo »

Well we went today and did the routre Alun described and it was fantastic. Stunning roads and scenery and we were well impressed so thanks a million Alun. We then decided to look at the end of Sarn Helen at Neath / Clyne end and it looked a weeee bit steep and slippery so as it was almost on our way back we ended up looking at the other end at Banwen. Feck me it was awsome. We were the only people there and the fire/service roads are an amazing big boiys playground. We were both like 'dogs with 2 dicks' . There were miles of trails with not a soul in sight. Amazing finish to the day. We did a fair chunk of sarn helen as well but we were skuppered by a large puddle and we ran out of time but we fully intend to try it again with knobblies and get there earlier. Some pics and vids bellow.

Cheers for the advice guys!

Bongoman

Post by Bongoman »

Do you have this route on a gpx file.
cheers
Damon

Return to “Wales”