good online maps and routes in wales nat parks?

V_King

good online maps and routes in wales nat parks?

Post by V_King »

hi,

I like to explore wales and always go without much planning, but this time I would like to have a route and am strugling with google maps to make some routes through those small paved roads, which you find in brecon beacons etc. It seems that either paved or unpaved, they all shown the same in google maps :(

what others are using for their panning, which is available online and do you have any routes you would like to share? trying to avoid A roads and forests :)
""
[email protected]

Re: good online maps and routes in wales nat parks?

Post by [email protected] »

Trailwise gives good access to OS maps and 'green lanes'.

You get some limited access but as a member of the TRF (which most of us should be...) you get full access.
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Bing maps zoom in the area you are interested in then chose Ordnance Survey from the drop down menu top right. Zooming in 1st brings up 1:50,000 map then as you zoom further it changes to 1:25,000

Also Byway map
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
V_King

Post by V_King »

vRSG60 wrote:Bing maps zoom in the area you are interested in then chose Ordnance Survey from the drop down menu top right. Zooming in 1st brings up 1:50,000 map then as you zoom further it changes to 1:25,000

Also Byway map
that looks awesome! thanks!
""
Zappa

Post by Zappa »

I live in Carmarthenshire very near to the BB's. However find I very rarely ride that way, IMO its not very inspiring to ride through, best looked at from a distance.
If you are looking at routes, look a little north of the BB's. North of LLandovery there is a great route that will take you up past Llynne Brianne, over the Devils staircase then up towards the Elan valley, then head over towards Devils Bridge. The BB's are ok (maybe I am a bit spoilt because I live here) but nothing compares to the area north of LLandovery, ABR riding heaven and all paved single track roads.

http://www.elanvalley.org.uk/
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction ... Wales.html
I feel beneath the white there is a red skin suffering from centuries of taming.
V_King

Post by V_King »

Zappa wrote:I live in Carmarthenshire very near to the BB's. However find I very rarely ride that way, IMO its not very inspiring to ride through, best looked at from a distance.
If you are looking at routes, look a little north of the BB's. North of LLandovery there is a great route that will take you up past Llynne Brianne, over the Devils staircase then up towards the Elan valley, then head over towards Devils Bridge. The BB's are ok (maybe I am a bit spoilt because I live here) but nothing compares to the area north of LLandovery, ABR riding heaven and all paved single track roads.

http://www.elanvalley.org.uk/
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction ... Wales.html
I kind of like the "middle of nowhere" sense riding those little roads through nat parks. a great escape from big smoke. will try llyn brianne dam, hopefully it will not be as busy as ellan valey. last time I went, the roads were clogged, with coaches and all kinds of slow vehicles with drivers looking not at the road! :S
""
Rederic

Post by Rederic »

I have got to agree with Zappa there are some great routes around the Devils staircase and that way

There a few on here
If your not the lead dog the view never change's
Zappa

Post by Zappa »

[/quote]I kind of like the "middle of nowhere" sense riding those little roads through nat parks. a great escape from big smoke. will try llyn brianne dam, hopefully it will not be as busy as ellan valey. last time I went, the roads were clogged, with coaches and all kinds of slow vehicles with drivers looking not at the road! :S[/quote]

Me too hence why I avoid the BB's, so If that's the case do head for Lynne Brianne, very quiet no traffic at all, miles and miles of uninterrupted middle of know where mountain roads. If you have been to Elan before then dont go that way (but it is very quiet up there this time of year), from the top of Lynne Brianne just take the mountain roads towards Tregaron. but do take in the devils staircase before you do, there is a great cafe to stop at on route to Beulah after your devils staircase decent. Took Byway Billy up there last week, had the entire area to ourselves. Lots more tourists and traffic in the BB's. Trust me I live here, you wont regret it.

http://www.forestcottages.co.uk/forest-cafe.html
I feel beneath the white there is a red skin suffering from centuries of taming.
fullerton

Post by fullerton »

vRSG60 wrote:Bing maps zoom in the area you are interested in then chose Ordnance Survey from the drop down menu top right. Zooming in 1st brings up 1:50,000 map then as you zoom further it changes to 1:25,000

Also Byway map
just had a look, are these boat or restricted

steve
V_King

Post by V_King »

Zappa wrote:
I kind of like the "middle of nowhere" sense riding those little roads through nat parks. a great escape from big smoke. will try llyn brianne dam, hopefully it will not be as busy as ellan valey. last time I went, the roads were clogged, with coaches and all kinds of slow vehicles with drivers looking not at the road! :S[/quote]

Me too hence why I avoid the BB's, so If that's the case do head for Lynne Brianne, very quiet no traffic at all, miles and miles of uninterrupted middle of know where mountain roads. If you have been to Elan before then dont go that way (but it is very quiet up there this time of year), from the top of Lynne Brianne just take the mountain roads towards Tregaron. but do take in the devils staircase before you do, there is a great cafe to stop at on route to Beulah after your devils staircase decent. Took Byway Billy up there last week, had the entire area to ourselves. Lots more tourists and traffic in the BB's. Trust me I live here, you wont regret it.

http://www.forestcottages.co.uk/forest-cafe.html[/quote]

thanks, where exactly is that devils staircase? google is very discrete about it :unsure:

made this so far now , any other good directions? :D
""

Return to “Wales”