good online maps and routes in wales nat parks?

bikenav

Re: good online maps and routes in wales nat parks?

Post by bikenav »

a few of my local favourites as a gpx not done this before so see how it bgoes

bikenav

Post by bikenav »

a gpx maybe
tourWales.gpx
(84.38 KiB) Downloaded 315 times
Zappa

Post by Zappa »

Devils Staircase is located at:

From Point B of your map, don't turn left keep going. You come to a T junction, turn right, within 2 miles you will be down the staircase. you can always turn back and go back up the staircase and head back towards tregaron (but I would recommend continuing for a few miles before you do that the road follows a river and its stunning for about 5 miles.)You can get back to Tregaron either on the road you have highlighted or continue on the same road when you get back to the T Junction above your Point B.

Have fun, let me know when you are coming your welcome to pop in for a brew.
I feel beneath the white there is a red skin suffering from centuries of taming.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

playing around with screenshots this might work and help you between the markers at the steep gradient symbol,
Screenshot3.png
Screenshot3.png (665.25 KiB) Viewed 11340 times

If not
Devils Staircase can be approached from either Beulah or Llanwrtyd Wells(better) West of the A383 or from the Northen end of the Llyn brianne Resevoir
KtmRy

Post by KtmRy »

Thats handy (thumbs)

The byway map site seems to be missing a lot of lanes.

This is a good site HERE for os map and simple track/route drawing/planning
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

The green ones are BOATs
Orange are Byway (BOAT/RB)
Red is Restricted Byway
fullerton wrote:
vRSG60 wrote:Bing maps zoom in the area you are interested in then chose Ordnance Survey from the drop down menu top right. Zooming in 1st brings up 1:50,000 map then as you zoom further it changes to 1:25,000

Also Byway map
just had a look, are these boat or restricted

steve
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
V_King

Post by V_King »

well, I can report that the expected clean roads after the whole night of rain was a complete opposite - the amount of shit and muck on tarmac was hard to comprehend. the bike is very filthy, even though I was aiming for the opposite effect :)

anyways, had a good ride. devils staircase was a bit of a dissapointment to be honest. last jusne did a very nice pass further west, which was very nice.

thanks for the pointers bikenav (thumbs) and Zappa thanks for invitation. was a bit on a tight schedule to do any meets :(
""
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Having come to Tregaron via the Devil's Staircase, some options for you to consider:

First of all, call into the café at the Welsh Gold Centre for some lovely Welsh cawl, bread and cheese, some coffee and cake (thumbs) ;

then either head south on the B4343 over to Llanddewi Brefi (of 'the only gay in the village' fame) and take the 'Mountain Road' to Ffarmers (it is signposted and is still paved, well just about, not quite a green lane but getting there.......)

Alternatively, from Tregaron head north up the B4343 through Pontrhydfendigaid and turn right at the small village of Ffair Rhos and head for the Teifi Pools (a series of seven mountain lakes) and take the easy by-way (it is legal apart from bizarrely a 100 metre piece by the farm but no-one bothers about that). It is very big bike friendly.
Go around the Claerwen Reservoir to the Elan Valley and then take the mountain road over to Cwmystwyth for some amazing industrial landscapes left over from it's lead-mining days. This road takes you down to Devil's bridge where you can stop for a cuppa or loop back to Tregaron.

Return to “Wales”