GPX files of trails in Morocco

Grahamkevinbutler

GPX files of trails in Morocco

Post by Grahamkevinbutler »

Having my bike transported down to Morocco first week in April, I'll be flying to Spain to pick bike up then ferry over to Morocco, I've got a garmin Montana 650t with good maps on what I'm after is dose anyone have any GPX files of any trails they have done in Morocco they could send me,
Thanks
oldoak

Re: GPX files of trails in Morocco

Post by oldoak »

On the Maroc trails...

2 years ago I found the OSM maps to be quite adequate. plenty of times you will be 4-5 km off the shown route, however, this is not down to inaccuracies. best routes change weekly due to water, wind and passing traffic.

It won't be like trying to find No.1 Belgravia, W1 London where I live but, you need to take a large amount of right way, right stuff, off we go.

You can't rely on precise GPS stuff. get good on maps and let GPS sharpen it up. It will be a boon. blindly relying on GPS and you are likely to find yourself in a pickle.

Maroc trail riding needs a lot of thinking beforehand and during too. Afterwards if you can be arsed!
Grahamkevinbutler

But it still gives me some idea wear I'm heading, my gps is used as a guide, I use maps me as this tends to be more reliable
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Pretty lazy frankly to just ask people to give them to you when generally speaking they've spent a long time finding them and creating themselves, or have years of experience and a big data bank of them.

why not do something positive and buy chris scott's book as a starter. You also haven't talked about your ability, what bike you're taking, your fitness level, your "adventure" level, if you'll be alone etc. It's impossible to advise you or even help in any kind of decent way without more information, and you actually doing something.
Grahamkevinbutler

image_2017-02-24.jpeg
image_2017-02-24.jpeg (48.89 KiB) Viewed 6845 times
I never thought of it in that way Mike, as I've always been able to lend a hand even give stuff away to people that need a spare part, I didn't think it made much difference on what bike or how many people would be traveling,
I trail ride up in the north on my own sometimes and with a guy my level is hard to say as I haven't compared myself to anyone,
Few years ago I was apart of the trf I was on the same par as some of them if that helps,
I have loads of legal lanes of the north on GPX files that I share with others from different forums so I thought it was the norm or good will amongst us guys, maybe not on here yet, I will post all my GPX files on here when I get back so it will help any one traveling for the first time
Wonkyconk

Post by Wonkyconk »

People seem to hold on to their trail gpx's like they are gold. Maybe learning the trf secret handshake would help?
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Wonkyconk wrote:People seem to hold on to their trail gpx's like they are gold. Maybe learning the trf secret handshake would help?
What would help is that those asking realise just how much work goes into creating them, managing them and working out trips with them to ensure correct distance, fuel points etc. If you want random ones look at wikiloc, but chris's book is very good in terms of options and gives coordinates. Short of arse wiping that's as good as you can get for the money. Sure some things are outdated due to storms, flodding, new building etc but the main pistes are all in there for people of decent ability.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Ow come on guys....good kama goes around honestly...

Have a look on wikiloc...And read the huge thread on hubb by tim in the morroc section ...hope that helps ...
Wonkyconk

Post by Wonkyconk »

Mike54 wrote:
Wonkyconk wrote:People seem to hold on to their trail gpx's like they are gold. Maybe learning the trf secret handshake would help?
What would help is that those asking realise just how much work goes into creating them, managing them and working out trips with them to ensure correct distance, fuel points etc. If you want random ones look at wikiloc, but chris's book is very good in terms of options and gives coordinates. Short of arse wiping that's as good as you can get for the money. Sure some things are outdated due to storms, flodding, new building etc but the main pistes are all in there for people of decent ability.
I understand what you are saying but most (not all) would rather take their routes to the grave then god forbid let someone else enjoy them also.
Grahamkevinbutler

IMG_0185.PNG
IMG_0185.PNG (857.77 KiB) Viewed 6845 times
I'll look at what's about, I've managed to get a few reference points and fuel ⛽️ stations off horizons unlimited from there I'm sure I'll get where I want to,
I've got hundreds of miles of trails on base camp for northern Italy if anyone wants them as a gpx files

Return to “Morocco”