WAW - Kinsale to ?? (Possibly Limerick)

Tremain1

WAW - Kinsale to ?? (Possibly Limerick)

Post by Tremain1 »

Hi Guys

me and a mate are heading over next week to do a few days clockwise on the WAW

We land at Rosslare and will make our way down to Kinsale

So, questions are - landing mid afternnon an a Thursday - need to be back to the ferryport abot 8.30pm Sunday

Whats do'able?

Any 'must see's ?

Any nice places to stay? (not camping)

If anyone has a WAW route for a BMW Navigator or can point me in the right directon. (excuse the pun!)

Any help would be great

Thanks

Chris
Spike941

Re: WAW - Kinsale to ?? (Possibly Limerick)

Post by Spike941 »

With only two and a half days riding the WAW by the looks of it, I suggest see where the best weather is, and head straight there. It’s all stunning and well worth riding. Plenty of decent accommodation on Booking.Com and a like, so you only need book your room the day you need it. Enjoy.
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

Spike941 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:59 pm With only two and a half days riding the WAW by the looks of it, I suggest see where the best weather is, and head straight there. It’s all stunning and well worth riding. Plenty of decent accommodation on Booking.Com and a like, so you only need book your room the day you need it. Enjoy.
+1 on the weather too. Having had friends over from England intending to do 10 days on WAW with them I said on the first day: right, its pissing rain in Kerry for the weekend. Do you want to go there or stay here in Kilkenny in the sun and take a run down to the Ring of Hook and Hook Head.? We went to Hook and got sunshine all the way. They loved it.

Next day Sunday...still pissing in Kerry and likely to stay that way but do you want to go east to Wicklow Mountains Mount Leinster Drive etc?. One decides to do the drive, other two decide to explore locally. All in sunshine. The one who went to Mount Leinster..we stopped for a coffee and decided to call on a mutual friend in Dublin. Got back to camp site at midnight, my friend having now bought another bike from our friend in Dublin that he was going to have to come back to collect.

Tuesday we moved to the Burren, Doolin to be exact and skipped Kerry. Wednesday started wet as expected but cleared early afternoon and we got out. Thereafter we knew would be sunshine and we headed up to Connemara and camped at Westport House. Loose plans worked really well and work best on it.

As for the Ring of Kerry, its not going anywhere so another time.

The best advice I can give is only make your decision on where you are going at the last moment.

If weather in all the west is bad the Mournes and North Antrim Coast are awesome and not to be dismissed. Places like Kilkeel and Newcastle are fantastic to stay in and not so far from ferries at Belfast, Dublin or Rosslare.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 36,400 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles
Moorso

Post by Moorso »

As the others have said, there are loads of alternative routes based on weather etc. Having ridden the WAW and Ring of Kerry, you really can't go wrong on them or anywhere near them! I've done a little sample and possible route up, but the main thing is to remember that here you'll never cover the amount of miles in a day that you think you will!!
Map.jpg
Map.jpg (82.22 KiB) Viewed 11291 times
YouTube: MoorsoP
Twitter: @MoorsoP
Web: www.alternate-road.blogspot.co.uk/

Author of: 'Valhalla and the Fjörd'
Editing my 2nd book: 'Hibernia; Journals from a Motorcycle'
Columnist for the Ulster Grand Prix
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

Was in ROI 10years ago. Roads weren’t that good.
Signposts are in kilometres, if you think of them in miles you’ll get your timings right.
Tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

here is a gps track dont know how accurate or current not used it myself
Wild Atlantic Way.gpx
(241.04 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
personaly i dont think you will need it, Just follow the coast along occasionally take any dead end roads just to explore, the further West you go the better it will get. Dont rush it its not the way in Ireland. Some of the small little used roads can have a slippery surface but dont let it stop you. Its a cracking bike touring country you will want to go back again. Hope the weather Gods are good to you. Enjoy.
Wild Atlantic Way.gpx
(241.04 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
Attachments
DSCN0979.JPG
DSCN0979.JPG (133.83 KiB) Viewed 11251 times
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Wild Atlantic Way.gpx
(241.04 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
no idea why this attachment file will not open done this in the past and worked fine
try this instead
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread ... 83-WAW-Wow!
TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

Here is a quick write up I did on the WAW : https://tbni.blog/2015/11/17/the-wild-a ... awin1week/

It’s a cracking route and really enjoyable but as has already been mentioned don’t expect to make loads of progress quickly.

The roads are rural especially the further north you get.

As far as a sat nav goes you won’t need one. Every single junction is marked.

Enjoy and let us know how you got on.
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
Heff

Post by Heff »

So you won’t be heading North to visit your ol’ muckers :lol:

See you in May ;)
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black

Return to “Ireland”