Are 'friends' electric?

Flintlock

Are 'friends' electric?

Post by Flintlock »

Met up with a mate who is over for Christmas from England-so thought it would be different to hire out a couple of electric mountain bikes for half a day.

Great fun & recommended-did 28 miles and still had two bars on the battery. They were Kreidler Dice 29, with a Bosch motor.

20151222_122324.jpg
20151222_122324.jpg (73.96 KiB) Viewed 6764 times
20151222_122332.jpg
20151222_122332.jpg (76.38 KiB) Viewed 6764 times
A wee screen tells you how much battery power is left-you switch from eco up to turbo depending how easy a cycle you want- turbo has you cycling up hills as if you were on the straight.

A great day out & will hopefully do it again soon
Gedge

Re: Are 'friends' electric?

Post by Gedge »

Great fun aren't they? ...the fun of cycling without all the serious hard work....
peterekins

Post by peterekins »

Gedge wrote:Great fun aren't they? ...the fun of cycling without all the serious hard work....
The hard work is what cycling's all about for me.
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

Those 29er Ebikes look alright, i've not seen those models before..... although i am familiar with the Bosch Crank Drive motors.
As they were hire Ebikes i expect they were legal 15.5mph jobs... but you can get a dongle for those motors that will double the available speeds.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Zookman wrote:Those 29er Ebikes look alright, i've not seen those models before..... although i am familiar with the Bosch Crank Drive motors.
As they were hire Ebikes i expect they were legal 15.5mph jobs... but you can get a dongle for those motors that will double the available speeds.
Never having ridden one but intrigued since they fist appeared on the market a year or 3 back, for a MTB, which is the better option, more real climbing power/torque for off road stuff or road speed?

I am yet another one looking at all the cracking bridleways that suddenly become accessible with leccy power! To my mind, demountable batteries would be my choice, stash a couple at "refuelling" stops the day beforehand, and Bob's you Uncle....
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Flintlock wrote: h

Great fun & recommended-did 28 miles and still had two bars on the battery. They were Kreidler Dice 29, with a Bosch motor.

A wee screen tells you how much battery power is left-you switch from eco up to turbo depending how easy a cycle you want- turbo has you cycling up hills as if you were on the straight.

A great day out & will hopefully do it again soon
Sounds cool. But I want the turbo option to have me "cycling up hills as if I were on the downhill" though :whistle:
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

SteveR wrote:
Zookman wrote:Those 29er Ebikes look alright, i've not seen those models before..... although i am familiar with the Bosch Crank Drive motors.
Never having ridden one but intrigued since they fist appeared on the market a year or 3 back, for a MTB, which is the better option, more real climbing power/torque for off road stuff or road speed?

I am yet another one looking at all the cracking bridleways that suddenly become accessible with leccy power! To my mind, demountable batteries would be my choice, stash a couple at "refuelling" stops the day beforehand, and Bob's you Uncle....
Crank drive are generally better hill climbers because the motor power is going through the gears.
But hub motors have been getting better, some with torque drives and newer generation BPM motors.
Really, there are advantages and disadvantages for both hub & crank drive motors and a lot comes down to personal preference which people prefer.
Personally i prefer the Yamaha Crank Drive motors to the Bosch, they integrate better.... but i still think hub motors look the best on an Ebike, more stealthy and you can keep your double or triple chainring.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Every time this subject comes up I just know I should ignore it and go outside to pick up leaves to distract me.
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

Giant MTB, 27.5er instead of 29 and with the Yamaha crank drive.... you can get derestricting dongles for the Yam motors as well.

Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

peterekins wrote:
Gedge wrote:Great fun aren't they? ...the fun of cycling without all the serious hard work....
The hard work is what cycling's all about for me.
Yep Gedge , excellent fun

Peterkins - I do a bit of cycling myself, but its good fo know that this technology will allow us to get out and still enjoy the trails when perhaps we are nof fit enough to do it using human energy only.

Return to “Ireland”