Are 'friends' electric?

[email protected]

Re: Are 'friends' electric?

Post by [email protected] »

Zookman wrote:Meant to answer Stephen Packer with that post.... quoted Tramp by mistake.

Thanks. Interesting...

So could I get a mountain bike and fit a 'legal' kit to it then ride anywhere bikes are allowed... Certainly adds a lot more trails.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

...and, which retro fit kit is the best/easiest?
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

Hub motor kits are far easier to fit than a crank drive motor.... the hub motors come already laced into a front or rear wheel of the size to suit your bike.

Front hub motor kit fitted to my Carrara Crossfire....

Image[/img]
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

[email protected] wrote:
Zookman wrote:Meant to answer Stephen Packer with that post.... quoted Tramp by mistake.

Thanks. Interesting...

So could I get a mountain bike and fit a 'legal' kit to it then ride anywhere bikes are allowed... Certainly adds a lot more trails.
Yes you can....
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

[email protected] wrote:What's the situation with electric bikes on bridleways- I presume they are 'mechanically propelled' and as such are (to the letter of the law) illegal to use?

Whether anyone complains is another matter!

There are some really nice restricted byways in my neck of the woods that would be nice to be able to ride without concerns about legality...
Just remember that if you fit a dongle to de-restrict it you're making it into a moped and all the normal restrictions come into force.

I keep thinking of buying one to go to the pub in summer but I know I won't be able to resist fitting a dongle and even though we're right out in the sticks it'd be a pretty crap way to lose my licence (and my job) if I picked the wrong night to get lashed and pedal home at 35mph.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Tramp wrote:
Andy if you don't like it sweep some leaves....we will be havin to much fun.
It's almost inevitable I'll get one but I'm trying hard to resist.
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

AndyB wrote:
[email protected] wrote:What's the situation with electric bikes on bridleways- I presume they are 'mechanically propelled' and as such are (to the letter of the law) illegal to use?

There are some really nice restricted byways in my neck of the woods that would be nice to be able to ride without concerns about legality...
Just remember that if you fit a dongle to de-restrict it you're making it into a moped and all the normal restrictions come into force.

I keep thinking of buying one to go to the pub in summer but I know I won't be able to resist fitting a dongle and even though we're right out in the sticks it'd be a pretty crap way to lose my licence (and my job) if I picked the wrong night to get lashed and pedal home at 35mph.
Mine is derestricted through the controller and will do 21mph under its own stream ( which is almost plenty fast enough... :evil: )..Because it is done internally itwould take a lot of work to prove that it has been modified and unless I run over an old lady I am fairly safe ..( the only Police I haev come across just wanted to know when they could have a go on it!! ) Like everything, use them sensibly and dont draw attention to yourself and it will be fine even if it is technically illegal...

http://www.burischbikes.co.uk/wp-conten ... Main1.jpeg

http://www.burischbikes.co.uk/?page_id=24
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

Gedge wrote:
AndyB wrote:

Mine is derestricted through the controller and will do 21mph under its own stream ( which is almost plenty fast enough... :evil: )..Because it is done internally itwould take a lot of work to prove that it has been modified and unless I run over an old lady I am fairly safe ..( the only Police I haev come across just wanted to know when they could have a go on it!! ) Like everything, use them sensibly and dont draw attention to yourself and it will be fine even if it is technically illegal...
Pretty much the way i view extracting a bit more power, be sensible on how much extra power but dont take the piss, and its highly unlikely it'll get you in bother.
I've been using an Ebike forum for the last few years and i've not heard of anyone getting nicked for modding extra max speed out of a legal Ebike.
My next kit, i'm gonna go 350W rear hub for more torque, 13 or 15 a/h battery and setting the max speed somewhere between 20 and 25 mph.
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Zookman wrote:
Gedge wrote:
AndyB wrote:

Pretty much the way i view extracting a bit more power, be sensible on how much extra power but dont take the piss, and its highly unlikely it'll get you in bother.
I've been using an Ebike forum for the last few years and i've not heard of anyone getting nicked for modding extra max speed out of a legal Ebike.
My next kit, i'm gonna go 350W rear hub for more torque, 13 or 15 a/h battery and setting the max speed somewhere between 20 and 25 mph.
I think I am going to upgrade to a Hub drive bike..but probably not until the winter has gone...I fancy a KTM Macina but not sure if I can justify the cost especially as will probably keep the Burisch.....( Im pretty sure Santa is aware of this request and has deemed me too naughty but tehre is always hope.......)
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

Even if the old bill were to see someone travelling at 25mph, its not exactly fast on the road.... and i could cycle even faster than that on my unpowered Giant road bike.
The legality is not the speed you're doing, but the speed the motor cuts out at. I often overtake the cut out 16mph speed on my Carrera Ebike.

Return to “Ireland”