Irish Border Tour - What Do You Think?

johnnyboxer

Re: Irish Border Tour - What Do You Think?

Post by johnnyboxer »

92kk k100lt 193214 wrote:You will read lots about the Wild Atlantic Way [WAW]. Yes it is lovely. But if you are coming into Ireland you will come by ferry to Cork, Rosslare, Dublin or Belfast/Larne.

The WAW starts in Cork, goes up the west coast and ends at Donegal.

From Donegal take the North Antrim route and Torr Head Drive back towards Belfast/Larne. Its awesome too. Go home from wherever you want after that, but do include the Antrim coastline.
I was going to come into Larne and follow the Antrim coast to the top and start the WAW from up there in Donegal - may take 2 trips as the whole WAW route is 1697 miles :ohmy:
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
gazxt1200z

Post by gazxt1200z »

you will love it,everywhere north or south has got fantastic scenery and some great roads and the bikers [you know who you are]are the most friendly you will meet anywhere continually make me more welcome than on my local roads.
devonuk

Post by devonuk »

Heff wrote:
devonuk wrote:Still not without it's dangers....

Really, :S

Is there something us locals should know?? :whistle:
I stick by my previous comment. Having visited the border region only recently I can assure you that the "welcome" received was not always as welcoming as it could have been. Such comments in one bar as... "Are you's English... pause... "Well f@ck off you're not welcome here!!" A similar welcome greeted us in a bar in Belfast. We went to the next bar and the welcome was the complete opposite....
So keep your wits about you, that's all I'm saying.
Heff

Post by Heff »

devonuk wrote:
Heff wrote:

Really, :S

Is there something us locals should know?? :whistle:
I stick by my previous comment. Having visited the border region only recently I can assure you that the "welcome" received was not always as welcoming as it could have been. Such comments in one bar as... "Are you's English... pause... "Well f@ck off you're not welcome here!!" A similar welcome greeted us in a bar in Belfast. We went to the next bar and the welcome was the complete opposite....
So keep your wits about you, that's all I'm saying.
I can assure you that places and people like the one you mention, are very much in the minority. Maybe you just bumped into the wrong person who has a single minded anti English attitude, (even if you did win the World Cup in 1966 :blush:)

Don't let one incident put you off from coming over again, and hopefully if you do decide to try the Emerald Isle again, you wont be disappointed (thumbs)
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black
650ginge

Post by 650ginge »

Name the bar. I would put anything this was one idiot. NI aint at all like that, don't forget we are the happiest people in the UK, officially.

Have to say I live in the Republic these days.
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

I agree, name and shame the bar and or area, for other English bikers/travellers benefit. Lots of other places to go over here where you will be welcomed no matter where you hail from.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

There's always an arsehole in any bar in the world! :)
StephenMac

Post by StephenMac »

92kk k100lt 193214 wrote:
2 weeks ago had our annual weekend up north, took in Co Down and Antrim and a great weekend.

The only dangers we encountered were the very generous hospitality and welcome that can lead to a slight excess of beers and a decision to make it a one way trip or extend it a few days with the excuse 'sorry boss, I'm stuck here, the bike broke down and it will take 3 days to fix'.

On a bike there are no politics, we went wherever we wanted as we have always done.

As for the routes and scenery, it can't be bettered and so so worth it. Newcastle on Sunday morning, enjoying coffee and cakes in the sunshine watching the world go by on two wheels is not to be missed. Lots of people from all backgrounds came to talk to us. The registrations on the bikes in Newcastle proved it all, lots from north and South of the border and other nationalities so clearly no issues there. I just wish it didn't take me 5 hours to get to Newcastle.

A lot of places could take a leaf out of the genuine friendliness and welcome of people in every establishment we were in. Looking forward to the same again next September.

Go for the trip, you wont regret it. The only thing you need to worry about is the weather and even that you get over.
Here, here! well said.
I've been a wild rover for many's a year...............
Allan F

Post by Allan F »

Never had a problem North or South. The people are always warm & welcoming.

Mind you I was walking down the Main Street in Balbriggan in the ROI. Came across an Affro Caribbean barbers shop with a sign in the window. No Whites ! Had a good chuckle to myself, just thinking how that would have been received
If it was the other way around. Good laugh all the same.
Farky

Post by Farky »

Allan F wrote:Never had a problem North or South. The people are always warm & welcoming.

Mind you I was walking down the Main Street in Balbriggan in the ROI. Came across an Affro Caribbean barbers shop with a sign in the window. No Whites ! Had a good chuckle to myself, just thinking how that would have been received
If it was the other way around. Good laugh all the same.
mmm, never seen a 'white' with an Afro before! ;)

Return to “Ireland”