Greenlanes in Glos

b1kerb0y

Greenlanes in Glos

Post by b1kerb0y »

Would anyone be kind enough to help me! I would love to find some legal green lanes in Gloucestershire. I know of a couple and have yet to try them but i would probably get bored of them quickly even though im only a novice!

Thanks in advance B)
If ignorance is bliss, why aren´t more people happy?????

KTM 990 Adventure :D
FMFox

Re: Greenlanes in Glos

Post by FMFox »

Which end of gloustershire are you?? I know of a few

currently traveling the world on a CCM SR40
b1kerb0y

Post by b1kerb0y »

I live in eastington which is near Stroud. Im on a Tiger800xc wearing 80/20 tyres so something easy please :laugh:

Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

Join the TRF (www.trf.org.uk) and get along to the Gloucester Group (1st Weds of the month in Gloucester - 8 pm Wagon Works Club, Tuffley Park, Tuffley Avenue, Gloucs - pm me if you want directions).

They have marked maps. Take your own OS maps along, and you can copy the lanes you like the look of. They will tell you which the 'Tiger-friendly' ones are.

Lots of nice lanes and active TRF trail riders around Stroud.
FMFox

Post by FMFox »

There's defintly a few between bristol and Stroud as well as going north to cheltenham.

A fair few are tiger freindly (not that I have taken my 955i on any) but most of them I have ridden a F 650 BMW on.

When are you free, I work shifts and am about to start busy season, but hope to be able to show you a few lanes.

currently traveling the world on a CCM SR40
b1kerb0y

Post by b1kerb0y »

Thanks for the replys guys,

Richard - sounds like a good idea, only trouble is i always work wednesday so wouldnt be able to do that :(

FMFox - im free most sundays atm, im only working 1 in every 5 or 6, or failing that i have tuesdays off 99% of the time

Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

I've just found out you can download the maps from the Gloucs TRF members' area at http://www.trfglos.co.uk

You'll need to join the TRF (only £40 for a year) then email jazzy to gain access.

So you won't have to go to the meetings.

I'm sure Jazzy will be able to organise a ride for you at some point too.
Peejay

Post by Peejay »

There are a few not far from you, The Fosseway is not a million miles away and easily doable on the tiger.
Pick it up just south of Kemble airfield and head south.
A lot more around Stonehouse/Stroud, but some are quite rutted and stoney, depends on your skill level.
I've not long sold my DRz and relaced it with a F650GS Dakar but need to get some better tyres suited for the lanes before I venture out on some of them.
Ive a mate in Frocester who knows them all, so give me a shout and we'll try and organise something.
BMW R1200 GS Adventure

KTM 990 R Adventure

Wheresoever you go. Go with all your heart.
hornet

Post by hornet »

http://www.trf.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.p ... 60&start=0

http://www.trailwise.org.uk/

http://www.bdcc.co.uk/XMarksTheSpot.htm ... 8241152263

There you go that should help with finding the lanes

however best go with someone who knows how to find the start of the trails and can link them up also someone to help you lift the bike helps as well
(we all come off and its flipping heavy especially when your worn out)

if you like many others on here ride the lanes more and more (which is what they are for)
take a moment to consider helping the trf in the fight to keep the lanes open. Its a serious thought as many areas have and are suffering the loss of lanes due to our well funded enimies such as the ramblers and horsey types and the nimby's who now live near the lanes and whant them closed to motorised traffic

Bigger bikes havent been a big part of the trf but i dont see why they shouldnt be The ABR east region group EAB (east anglian bimblers) have had several succesful days on the trails during the drier months when the going is easier, and with the way adv bikes are coming to the for lots more bigger bikes will be treading the trails and having a great time.

The trf groups have been riding the lanes for decades and know them better than anyone or any group and will help you to enjoy the lanes, they are just a group of blokes who love riding there bikes like you.

Crunch time no TRF funds and lanes will dissapear faster than ever before including the ones you love. Ive seen some closed in my area but ive also seen a fightback and look forward to keeping the ones we have.

This isnt intended as anything other than a to provoke a thought as to what might help all bikers who enjoy or want to enjoy our remaining greenlane network

hornet
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
davec

Post by davec »

Hi Bikeryboy, I'm in Gloucester and I'd be happy to do a few lanes with you (or anyone else for that matter). I too work shifts so I'm often free during the week, PM me if you like.

As for the TRF I'd just like to reiterate what the others have said, they do a sterling job and deserve our support so join today ;)
I got a motorbike for my wife...

Best swap I ever made.

Return to “South West”