Sunday 20th Ride out.

McOo

Re: Sunday 20th Ride out.

Post by McOo »

Cheers for the ride guys, always great to get out on the moors - especially in the Sun!

Was a 9am start for us to meet up with Mel and get to Taunton, not helped by my satnav telling me that Taunton Sainsburys was up the M5 North slip road. :blink:

Good to finally meet everyone though, very nice blokes and very shiny bikes! B)

Took a leisurely ride back after splitting at Dartmoor, stopped off at a few places, a couple of junctions up the M5 then cut across through Glastonbury as the Sun set and got back home about 8pm. A pretty long day for us rookies, as we were out riding all Saturday too, but pleasantly knackered.

Clocked up just over 300 miles from wilts. We split with Mel at Exeter and I think he muttered something about heading to the coast .. so think the distance title will go to him.

Cheers guys.
Peejay

Post by Peejay »

Kiteboy wrote:............The reports about the 800GS saddle are true real pain in the butt after a few miles.

Cheers
Jase
I have a gel insert in the GSA, which is on loan from a mate. (The seat that is) Have to say it makes a huge difference to standard. A chap in Coventry does them at a reasonable price and good turn around.
Some on here may know him, but I'll try to get the details for you, as I'm going to have my seat done at some point.
BMW R1200 GS Adventure

KTM 990 R Adventure

Wheresoever you go. Go with all your heart.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

peejay wrote:
Kiteboy wrote:............The reports about the 800GS saddle are true real pain in the butt after a few miles.

Cheers
Jase
I have a gel insert in the GSA, which is on loan from a mate. (The seat that is) Have to say it makes a huge difference to standard. A chap in Coventry does them at a reasonable price and good turn around.
Some on here may know him, but I'll try to get the details for you, as I'm going to have my seat done at some point.
It seems rather bad that motorcycle companies sell "optional extra" gel seats, knowing that their original equipment is uncomfortable (not fit for purpose) therefore making the loyal (gullible) buyer of a £15,000 touring bike have to spend even more to make the vehicle comfortable to do what it was originally designed for!

I have had gel seats myself (on a 955 Daytona and an '05 Speed Triple) that came with the bikes when I bought them, however, I have found a bike with an all day comfy seat: The Tiger 800XC! :woohoo: :P
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

My butt is in pain following yesterday (no funny comments here!) from riding all day.

Been thinking about sheep-skin? Anyone tried this / know it works?
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
Kiteboy

Post by Kiteboy »

I'll keep an eye out for the gel geezer Peejay, seen good writeups on these airhawks so may have a look at them. Then I suppose it's easy on for long rides, and easy off if I do some greenlaning. I am half fancying half a deadsheep sprawled across the saddle, seen a few people with fleeces on. Could have picked some up on Dartmoor dead easy Sunday, may have to do another trip down.
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

I have a Airhawk for the TA . Great bit of kit , but here's the scoop .

You dont have to take it on and off , and have to fiddle with the straps .

Just let the air out but leaving the valve unscrewed , then blow a bit of air in when you need it (for me its after 100miles). You do not need lots of air and only takes a second to inflate .

I have a touchy back and the airhawk has really helped for longer rideouts.

Tip 2 , Airhawk cover can get wet if its raining alot , one of my chums has made rainproof cover from an old waterproof jacket, works a treat.

Yes, its expensive but a godsend for the TA's slightly uncomfortable seat
Peejay

Post by Peejay »

Sheepskins are one of the cheaper options. I've used it and it works to some degree, especially if it is hot, the natural fabric is better than some synthetic alternatives. If it gets wet it dries quite quickly and naturally, like when on the sheep! No it doesnt smell like one!! :whistle:
I attach mine with some elastic and then it comes off easily enough. have used it as a pillow cover when camping......well I was lonely, before the comments start! :blush:
BUT if you get the black ones which are obviously dyed, it will stain trousers if its wet, unless you wear black all the time. :blink: Personally I would got for black as it's not quite so obvious, but be prepared for questions and pi** taking.
Have heard good things about the Airhawk, down side is the cost and having to remove it for safety.
The gel insert is always there, and doesnt cost much more than the airhawk, but it aint transferable.
I'm planning on keeping the GSA for a good while so the gel is what I will go for and can add the sheepskin as and when.
There is a sheepskin selling shop in Ilfracoombe Devon, which does front seat and pillion, already cut for ease, Cost about 20quid for both.

Linky thing :http://www.lambland.co.uk/shop/motorcyc ... -1190.html
BMW R1200 GS Adventure

KTM 990 R Adventure

Wheresoever you go. Go with all your heart.
Kiteboy

Post by Kiteboy »

Looking at the price of those sheepskins, I'm gonna give it a go, pillow as well bargain. Have to be black though and hope the dye stops running.
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

Right, heres the pics I took of the day B)

Group at princetown:

Closer group:

Some of the amazing views overlooked by the Warren inn :woohoo:

And a pic of Myself, Paul and Lee before we set off - for some reason they have mirrors for faces - didnt think Touratech had these as an accessory!

All in all, a great day and hope to spend a weekend down there this summer - Lee you'll have to tell me where abouts this trail was again, Ill try and scope it out on maps! :)
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
paula

Post by paula »

peejay wrote:Thanks Kiteboy (Jase) enjoyed your company. Well I clocked 235 to/from Bristol so you beat me, but I think the Wiltshire posse may well win the distance award. ;)
Maybe just pushing over 300 miles, the most riding I have ever done in one day...also only my third time on a motorway and first time to Exmoor so lots of new thing :) thanks everyone for waiting for me ;)

Return to “South West”