Bridge of Balgie - Sunday 20-4-14

Steve T

Bridge of Balgie - Sunday 20-4-14

Post by Steve T »

Planning a little run south to the Bridge of Balgie on Sunday, with an ETA of around 1230 for soup or sandwiches, which ever floats your boat (thumbs)

Maybe see you there

Steve T

B)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
Steve T

Re: Bridge of Balgie - Sunday 20-4-14

Post by Steve T »

Twas a braw day out. A few pictures from a 300 mile loop that induced many smiles per mile.

Decent run today, with my eldest eating my dust the whole 300 miles ;-)
Decided to do a clockwise run, going down Glenshee and back via Tyndrum & Aviemore.
Starting early in the day certainly has it’s benefits – few other road users up & about means excellent progress was made. Downside to an early start was the temperature . . . .or lack of it. Certain digits with reduced circulation were giving pain by the time we went over the Lecht.

By Glenshee the temperature was rising, but so too were the number of other road users.

Across towards Pitlochry and then a brief run down the A9 to Balinluig and onwards to Aberfeldy for a fuel top up. Or it would have been if there was a fuel station in Aberfeldy! The Co-Op pumps closed last year and there are some major works going on at the old site. Hope they plan on a fuel station as that place is perfectly situated for runs south into the hills around that area. Back tracked to Balinluig for fuel, then onwards in the glorious sunshine, towards Loch Lomond, Ben lawyers and ultimatly the café at Bridge of Balgie.

We stopped off at the hydro dam to get a few photo’s, and as we were regaining the road to Glen Lyon, who should pass in front of us but Outrunner, who promptly stopped for a photo of the dam. As we three then continued over the hill, our little column of bikes grew by one, as LWR came up the hill and joined the back of the group. Got a little photo of a weird tent as we came down off the hill to Glen Lyon, then it was time to sit out in the sunshine, sip a coffee and nibble a cake or two, whilst talking the usual ballicks.
Once fed & watered we headed to the end of the glen and over the rapidly worsening hydro road that connects Glen Lyon with the one to its south. The potholes on this road are huge, with the rest of the road surface covered with the rocks from inside the potholes. Still a fantastic ride into empty highland glens in wonderful sunshine. Bliss.

At the glens end, Killin, Outrunner headed south whilst the left overs ran the length of Loch Lomond in reverse, with eldest son & me peeling off for Tynadrum and all roads north.

Absofugginlutly brilliant day out on the bike, with ace company at an excellent destination via superb roads, all in weather that could easily grace any part of Euroland in summer time.

Thanks for the craic gents – till next time.

Steve T

B)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
steve172

Post by steve172 »

Gutted I missed this, but to make up for it I''m camping at Applecross tomorrow night ;)
.fraser.

Post by .fraser. »

steve172 wrote:Gutted I missed this, but to make up for it I''m camping at Applecross tomorrow night ;)
Our paths may cross, I camping at Cannich tomorrow night then Applecross Tuesday.
steve172

Post by steve172 »

Whats you're route?

We're either heading up Glen Shiel then Glenelg ferry to Skye then back across at Kyle then for Applecross, or Mallaig to Skye ferry then Kyle then Applecross. Then on Tuesday a loop round the Applecross peninsula and home to Stirling whatever way we fancy on the day.
.fraser.

Post by .fraser. »

Done that exact route last year. (thumbs)

I'll be heading from Stirling to Tyndrum then following A82 all the way to Cannich. Tuesday, I'm not sure what route I'll take yet, probably the coastal road then the Pass on Wednesday morning then home via Glen Shiel.

Sorry for the hijack Steve T :blush:

Return to “Scotland”