Any suggestions of good road in Scotland?

macvisual

Re: Any suggestions of good road in Scotland?

Post by macvisual »

Any of these places should be simply stunning with regards to roads and scenery locations;

Glencoe - Kyle Of Lochalsh - Oban - Ullapool - Durness - Isle Of Skye - Applecross - Tongue - Kinlochleven - Invergarry - Inverrary

Plenty of scope there, you'll return for more in the future I'm sure of that....

Have fun and take loads of photo's, you'll have a ball scenery wise, enjoy...!
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
Muddy pockets

Post by Muddy pockets »

lancashirelad wrote:don't forget you have to wave to bikers in Scotland a nod doesn't cut it :laugh:

Ill wave with both hands just to be sure. :)
Thanks for all the pointers, loads to work with there. Think ill be heading west like most of you suggest. My friend I'm going with is a bit of a foodie so all those road suggestions coupled with the Michelin guide we'll be sorted. Ill post pics once I've got them.
I'm only in North Yorkshire so hopefully this will be the 1st trip if many.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Don't forget that west tends to be wetter, and in the midge season they can get slightly annoying.

For quiet roads try the loop from Lairg up the A836 to Tongue :blush: and back down the A839. Quiet tracks masquerading as A roads, and hardly any caravans etc on them. Once you've done it clockwise, do it anti-clockwise.
Moorso

Post by Moorso »

YouTube: MoorsoP
Twitter: @MoorsoP
Web: www.alternate-road.blogspot.co.uk/

Author of: 'Valhalla and the Fjörd'
Editing my 2nd book: 'Hibernia; Journals from a Motorcycle'
Columnist for the Ulster Grand Prix
dave_ac

Post by dave_ac »

If you are looking for rough, pot holed, water crossings, deep puddles then any road in Glasgow... :P

Or have a ride around the minor roads north or Milingavie.

Or Glasgow to Weymssbay, ferry to Rothesay. Rubodach ferry to Colintraive turn left and make your way back to Glasgow, Oban (via Loch Awe) or Fort William -- a good day out
Muddy pockets

Post by Muddy pockets »

ONJ, Is it really wetter to the west? Shame, I need to invest in some better waterproofs anyway, just got home tonight in this down pour the north eat seems to be having and it's safe to say every item of clothing I had on was soaked through. :s
I think I'm going to keep the rougher tracks out for this trip as my friend I'm going with is on a brand new k 1600 so do t think he'll appreciate it. That's something I will have to head back for myself. :)
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Tends to be wetter in the west, though last year into early this year they were in drought, and had fires on the moors, I think because the wind / weather came from the east. But if it's from the west, then in most of Aberdeenshire the Grampians get wet, and we don't. However, going through Glencoe during / just after a rain shower is something special, but you do appreciate it the more when it's dry the next time!
SPEN

Post by SPEN »

Flintlock wrote:From past experience, just take yourself ou the west side of Scotland, the good roads will find you. Sometimes the best roads you find are those you just come across with very little planning,and Scotland is a great example of this.

Its easy just stay west head for the islands aswell
Throttled

Post by Throttled »

Another brilliant road, the A86 Spean Bridge to Newtonmore

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Spe ... s&t=m&z=10
YBR125 > KLE500 + KLE650 Versys Tourer

Return to “Scotland”