Any suggestions of good road in Scotland?

Jammin

Re: Any suggestions of good road in Scotland?

Post by Jammin »

Redmurty wrote:Get Biker's Britain someone has kindly put a link on here for the book a great way to spend £3.50 cheers Spud ;)
Second that, i saw the thread & ordered one.
Most roads in Scotland are great.
Muddy pockets

Post by Muddy pockets »

Well I finally got out to Scotland, luckly on one of the warmest weeks I think I've ever known, who said Scotland was wet all year round? 1100m trip, Darlington to sterling, Callander, aberfoyle, loch lomand, Oban, kinlockleven, fort William, isle of Skye, then onto Inverness via tornapress and straight past liathach, Loch Ness, glen Coe then home. Lovley route so far but one road we found that was worth writting about was the a821. Dukes pass. That was unbelievable! I WILL come back even just to do that road one more time!

Thank you all for your suggestions, they were spot on. Only half way through the trip so still got a few more to ride yet but it's been amazing so far! :)

Cheers all!
Martinl69

Post by Martinl69 »

Sounds like you had a great time and got some great weather. Heading up towards Oban next month, can't wait!
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Did the Dukes pass on the way up (and back) last year from Ullapool, i agree it is a great road-one of many in Scotland
Muddy pockets

Post by Muddy pockets »

Agreed, after riding in Scotland for the last 3days I've realised what a silly thread this is, "does anyone know of any good roads in Scotland". They're all great, some are just better than others. Will defiantly be coming back.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Muddy pockets wrote:a821. Dukes pass.
hahaha! You found one of the jewels!
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Muddy pockets wrote:They're all great, some are just better than others. Will defiantly be coming back.
And your time up there is limited, so find out which are the better ones, and don't ride the 'others'.

The main A road routes in Scotland are great for the first time visitor, but for the regulars they do get tedious. There's almost always a more interesting alternative. What you need to do is post the route you think you want to take as a google map, then get a local to amend it for you and post up the route you really need to take.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
DogManStar

Post by DogManStar »

Flintlock wrote:Did the Dukes pass on the way up (and back) last year from Ullapool, i agree it is a great road-one of many in Scotland
When I were a lad I remember taking part in a cycle race (the Tour of the Trossachs), that was my first introduction to that road, from Aberfoyle to Callender (where there is a shop that sells Xmas dec all year round, that was a mind f**k) is one of my favourite roads of all time.
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work - Thomas Alva Edison (1847 - 1931)
Muddy pockets

Post by Muddy pockets »

-Ralph- wrote: What you need to do is post the route you think you want to take as a google map, then get a local to amend it for you and post up the route you really need to take.
Unfortunately I've only the last day left now, heading back tomorrow. But when we're done I'll post a link to the exact routes we took, I'm sure there's loads of alternatives and it would be good to see them on paper.
Ill be back next year I'm sure, hopefully with a new route and re visit some old'uns.
Martinl69

Post by Martinl69 »

DogManStar wrote:
Flintlock wrote:Did the Dukes pass on the way up (and back) last year from Ullapool, i agree it is a great road-one of many in Scotland
When I were a lad I remember taking part in a cycle race (the Tour of the Trossachs), that was my first introduction to that road, from Aberfoyle to Callender (where there is a shop that sells Xmas dec all year round, that was a mind f**k) is one of my favourite roads of all time.
Just added Dukes Pass to my route for my trip up to Scotland next month! Thanks

Return to “Scotland”