August Bulgarian Rally.

Opsman

August Bulgarian Rally.

Post by Opsman »

I have put my name down for this rally, but would like a few details, so I can book time off work.
I am starting from Lancashire, and intend to join the 3 day ride over, and hopefully, the ride back. Does anyone know where people are meeting? What ferry route is being used? Are they using camp sites, or hotels for the overnight stays. What route is being used to get there? My bike will not be happy at 80+ mph on motorways.
chopper

Re: August Bulgarian Rally.

Post by chopper »

Hi mate I am going , booked off thursday 21 till tuesday 2. Got no details on route yet , but going dover calais? Or train
see you nearer the time going on xt660z tenere . Whats your ride , B)
strimstrum

Post by strimstrum »

I am not speaking for Mark (Bushman) but as far as I am aware he will be sorting out a route and it will be up to individuals whether or not they choose to ride the same route or not. He will almost certainly stay in hotels but will not make any bookings for others. When he posts his route he will undoubtedly say where the stops are and may well even have booked a hotel and advise the address.

Meeting up along the route can be agreed to suit individual traveller needs - it may also be that some guys want to make their own way down either individually or in their own group. All Mark is saying is that he is happy for others to ride along with him but it wont like a tour guide who arranges literally everything for you - he does not want that responsibility - it is an adventure after all.

I will probably fly home and bring my big bike back at the same time so there is scope for splitting a large group or having additional backup for the larger group.

As for 80+ motorway speeds - some may want to ride fast, others may want to ride slower. Everyone will have the route and evening meet up points and possible en-route rendezvous stops so it is possible for all to travel at their own pace.

Although it is quite a long ride it is not difficult and the reward of a good time when you get here will make it all worth while.

The weather here in Bulgaria at the moment is unseasonally warm - out of my window I have a cloudless blue sky, warm sun and around 16 degrees - methinks payback will come with some cold weather in February.

I'm sure Mark will read this thread at some time soon and make his own comments on exactly how he will move forward with planning the route.
Andysr6

Post by Andysr6 »

Hi, I have been to Bulgaria a few times and will be returning this year but not for the rally (dates didn't suit). 3days to Bulgaria on a bike that will cruise at 80mph are 3 very long hard, boring days stuck on motorways.
Please consider taking at least 5 days ( I will take 7-9 days and I do have a bike that will sit at 80), otherwise this could be a very unenjoyable trip. Andy
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

+1 on what Andy has posted. I've done Bulgaria loads of times. It's a great ride, you probably have to use the motorways to get past the industrial NW of mainland Europe. But once you get out East it gets more interesting. I'd also suggest that northern based riders consider the Hull crossing.
On the return leg On a few occasions I've taken the Southern route out of Bulgaria into Greece and the ferry from Ingoumenitsa (Greece) to Venice. 24hrs, but you get a cabin and a day off the bike! Then you are right at the start of the Dolomites/Alps.
Bushman_uk

Post by Bushman_uk »

this is what i have posted before and as i keep explaining i am flexible within reason.

"So here is a route map of what i think would be an easy route down to Bulgaria without being to boring , keeping it fairly cheap. Get across the west quick . A stop somewhere in Holland /Belgium to meet up the other side of the channel then a blast for the Czech Republic for Prague or Kutna Hora (church of Bones )then a nice bimble through the back lanes of Slovakia and Hungary. Romania will bring some challenges with a zig zag route down the Trans Alpina and then back up for the Transfagarasan and from there head for Bulgaria and the motto camp.

Add more tomorrow when i have more time , Thanks Martin
Opsman

Post by Opsman »

Thanks for the replies. I will be on my Honda NC700x. I will decide whether to take the Hull or Dover ferry after a bit more research on which routes will suit me best. I can do a 640 mile day, with about 400 being motorway, but I do not relish the thought.
strimstrum

Post by strimstrum »

Opsman wrote:I can do a 640 mile day, with about 400 being motorway, but I do not relish the thought.
Be worth it when you get here though !
Bushman_uk

Post by Bushman_uk »

ok this is what i was thinking .... Go over the channel via the tunnel book up a hotel somewhere in Holland or Belgium .. let everyone know where i am .. so those that wish to come along may do so no matter which route they take out of the UK. Then up early long day ride to get the hell out of "western Europe". Hotel booking not sure yet more than likely i shall book the previous night if i can get internet access and if not just stroll up to the front door and ask for a room.
The reasons behind this are i don't know how large a group we shall be and i do not know the speed or range capabilities of others. Again i shall post the address or co ordinates of where i shall be each night, so that those that wish to ride on there own may do so, but meet up at night.
I find the Eastern block far more interesting than the west so intend in going on some minor roads and just bimble around maybe get lost a few times but all part of the adventure. I have not rode the trans alpina before and it's all tarmac now so should be an interesting ride and then loop around for the Transfagarasan ( however you spell it).
I don't mind a detour for others to go look at something. but if it is something i don't wish to do then i will leave co ordinates of where we can meet up again.
As Martin said i am not a tour guide, i will help as much as i can, but i am not responsible for your own safety , please ride within your own capabilities and please be truthful of wants and needs .... this is a holiday and an adventure not a do or die effort. If i am riding to fast or to slow for you please mention it, then maybe we can come up with a solution.
It will be a long hard ride there and back, so look after your self and your machine.

Things have changed for me since i last wrote and i have chosen to re-enter the rat race to gain some much needed funds for bigger adventures. The job i am now is intense long hours and a stress scale of 10/10, so do not be surprised if i do not post on a regular basis. Hopefully Martin ( Strimstrum )will keep an eye on things and bring to my attention any thing that i have missed, like this post. You may also email me if you wish at bushman_uk at hotmail.com i shall also pass on my mobile number. Because of my work load email is the preferred method of direct contact at the moment, there may be a delay but i will get around to it. I shall have more time after winter hopefully, but hope you all understand i have to grab the money for the time being.
Opsman

Post by Opsman »

I have never ridden in eastern Europe, and so I would appreciate any info from experienced travellers about what breakdown insurance, and maps you would recommend for this trip.

Thanks in anticipation.

Return to “ABR Bulgaria Rally 25th August 2014”