August Bulgarian Rally.

SteveW

Re: August Bulgarian Rally.

Post by SteveW »

If you listen to some on here you only need break down cover if you ride a GS :laugh:
Maps can be bought locally at service stations or Bigger branches of WH Smiths here.
I am in the RAC, I always take out their best level repatriation/ breakdown insurance. Just check if you get a quote for a single trip, it may not be much more expensive to get a full year cover. Your bike insurance now may cover you for all the countries you are likely to pass through, but do check. Don't forget to bring your V5 with you.
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

I think I should point out a few things about opsman, he's from Trawden so tight as the proverbial ducks arse :)
Max he'll pay for a brew is £1
Max for a bacon buttie £1.25
Max for camping £5 a night, free preferred.
Hotel/hostel?????????,,,over his dead body.
And if you think I'm joking ask him for a look at the 1970s road atlas & petrol stove he still uses!!!!
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
strimstrum

Post by strimstrum »

If you have never ridden in Eastern Europe then prepare to be surprised. Most major roads are in much better condition than those you are used to in the UK - agreed, a small minority of the back roads can sometimes be a bit rough but I have experienced worse riding through Coventry.

Breakdown cover is advisable but there are all the usual main dealers in big cities so recovery and problem solving is usually hassle free. You also have to bear in mind that many East Europeans are very resourceful and welding skills, bike maintenance, tyres etc are normally easy to locate.

The Motocamp has its own workshop where you will be free to tinker if needs be and we have a bike shop in the nearby (15kms) big town of Sevlievo and even better ones in the city of Veliko Tarnovo (35kms away and the old medieval capital of Bulgaria).

You will see horse & carts on the roads around here and old ladas and Trabants but you will see a whole lot more modern cars - it is not as "Eastern" as you may think - more "western" with Russian writing.

Mark has a bike trailer here in Bulgaria and I have a 4x4 so any local (within 150 miles of the Motocamp) breakdowns can be recovered. You will not be cast out in the wilderness either as the Motocamp has many, many biker friends along your route here who will be easy to contact and will probably be able to lend a willing hand.

If anyone has any genuine fears about going "East" then please feel free to PM me and ask questions that you may think others will think daft. I've been there myself and have envisaged all sorts of horrors in my head only to find the demons disappear when I saw for myself. On almost every trip me and Mark have undertaken (and there have been many over the years) we have always encountered folk along the way who tell you that the next country or the next town is dangerous and we shouldn't go there only to arrive and find those folk saying the very same thing about the place that we have just come from or the next place we are going to.

In any case - no need to worry about breaking down until you actually breakdown - remove this demon from your thoughts and relax and enjoy !
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

If he pays a quid for a brew in Bulgaria, he better get a cake with it! 25p in a "local" cafe.
strimstrum

Post by strimstrum »

lancashirelad wrote:I think I should point out a few things about opsman, he's from Trawden so tight as the proverbial ducks arse :)
Max he'll pay for a brew is £1
Max for a bacon buttie £1.25
Max for camping £5 a night, free preferred.
Hotel/hostel?????????,,,over his dead body.
And if you think I'm joking ask him for a look at the 1970s road atlas & petrol stove he still uses!!!!
Opsman will be well at ease in Bulgaria then as he will find that The Price is Right. As Mark pointed out- he will stay in hotels on the way down but will provide details of where and maybe even co-ordinates. If those on a budget want to camp on the way down they are more than free to do so. I am sure that morning meeting points could easily be arranged.
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

(thumbs)
Hello all, I've been following the Bulgarian Rally threads for a while with interest, it sounds just my kind of adventure.
Opsman, have no fear there are other people like you who like to do things on the cheap!!
I'm a camping man my self so I'll be roughing it on the way if I decide to go ? at the moment my interest is gaining momentum listening to you chaps.
Oh by the way I'm a newbie, so be gentle with me .
crofty

Post by crofty »

Another NC700X here, as I am coming from the north probably take a Hull/Newcastle ferry.
As we are taking camping gear and it is August I fancied camping.
I sort of thought one biggish day from the coast into Germany and then take it a bit slower through Czech republic,Hungary,Romania etc
Anybody else fancy camping and taking 5 days or so ?
Beepee

Post by Beepee »

I did this route in reverse reverse August 2013, my mate has a house south of the destination in Harmanli that is like a time capsule. He just locked up and left ! I have friends that still live there and the locals are more than friendly in my experience. Beautiful gypsy girls too ! Anyway, Stara Zagora has an excellent chinese restaurant and Harmanli is also worth a visit......
Beepee

Post by Beepee »

Ha! My first time there when my mate moved over was an an adventure, we sat in a cafe watching the world go by, tried most of the snack meats and cheese on the menu washed down with ice cold Staropramen. We were smeekit when we stumbled out, the bill......... £8.75 for 2 !
coolbananas

Post by coolbananas »

Crofty I'm thinking the same thing I'm on a xt660z Tenere ( can sit at 80 mph all day long)

Return to “ABR Bulgaria Rally 25th August 2014”