**Salisbury plain rally** a question for you all please.

Mike101

**Salisbury plain rally** a question for you all please.

Post by Mike101 »

Afternoon,

So i'm staritng to plan this thing in detail now and rather than me come up with what i think people want i'd like to deliver what you lot actually want.

I will go with whatever the majorty say on here so please do speak up...and do';t say i didn't ask

So first to food. We have a few options..there is a local type shop 5 mins walk away from the campsite. Next door to that is a chippy and then a chinese takeaway. Also as the event is taking place in a local football club i able able to get the kitchen open.

So do we want to take care of ourselves or do you want a fry up each morning available and a couple of choices for something in the evening. the kitchen idea will only work if i have enough people wanting it.

Next..the rides out.

Option 1 will be all offroad but this is really up to Tramp and the other op 1 guides but more about that at a later date.

Option 3 will be all on road and will take in local villiages and beauty spots. it will end up at Compton Abbas airfield which is a great place for a ride out to.

Now to option 2...this can be all off road or 50/50. We can spend all the time on the plain or also cover some of the local things to see such as Avebury.

Other things to do...there are lots of other things to do and see in the area..and i do mean a lot. So i can provide a simple guide to whats where and how to get to it.

History...are you people into history? i don;t think you need me to tell you that there is a lot of history around this aprt of the world. Thw small town where i live (Amesbury) currently has a dig going on that will hopefully prove a theory that it is the oldest settlement in the entire UK.

I know a fair bit about this part of the world so can proivde detials of whats about and the history of it...my wife says i should hvae been a bus tour guide....On you right you will see..and all that.

Yes there will be a camp fire both nights and no i won't be providing free beer or to those in Ullapool..i also won't be providing the dawn chorus again.

So over to you..lets make this a do that has what we all want and not just what i think you all want.

Don't be shy and please comment.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
Brenhden

Re: **Salisbury plain rally** a question for you all please.

Post by Brenhden »

I'd come for a fry up and a canteen dinner. In fact although it seems like heresey if there was mugs of tea availible on demand I could forgo the trangia all together.

Ride outs. Whatever you offer I'll be happy, I'll be taking the dirt option where I can, but cute villages and prehistoric Avebury will make me happy too.

Camp fire is the best bit, I'll be sourcing my own bevvies so no worries there.

After all the beers if you could set the dawn chorus down to minimum volume that would be super ;)

Bren
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
BigBashBonanza

Post by BigBashBonanza »

I'd prefer to sort out my own food, whether cooking or takeaway rather than relying on someone else to do it.
The brew kit on tap is a good idea, a burco boiler bubbling away, milk in the fridge and tea and coffee there. Over the weekend, I guess a pound or two off everyone will pay for the hot wet! (thumbs)

For option 2 ride, I'd say all off road, on the Plains trails and tracks and as for the campfire, that's a great idea!
Look Large, Be Massive

Follow the Sapper
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Mike101

please dont take this the wrong way :S but you are doing a sterling job but as i`ve helped out on all the lymington rallys we found few endulged in the morning grub van [overslept etc] as most did there own thing..evening was a similar affair..some went pub others stayed in small groups others well (thumbs) .

so just go with the flow as not everyone turns up :evil: normaly 50% drop out rate more if it rains..wossys :P and you feel frustrated after all the hard work goes south.

As for ride outs of the trail kind they all take in some road work and both me and Andy know the area [witshire] so well we normally HAVE A RUFF PLAN but I always just ask folk what they want to see and it normally changes mid day anyway ..

the secret to a good ABR meet is easy as can be with few just a few pointers on grub and pubs around about and let folk please them selves..

your choice...
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

Tramp wrote:Mike101

please dont take this the wrong way :S but you are doing a sterling job but as i`ve helped out on all the lymington rallys we found few endulged in the morning grub van [overslept etc] as most did there own thing..evening was a similar affair..some went pub others stayed in small groups others well (thumbs) .

so just go with the flow as not everyone turns up :evil: normaly 50% drop out rate more if it rains..wossys :P and you feel frustrated after all the hard work goes south.

As for ride outs of the trail kind they all take in some road work and both me and Andy know the area [witshire] so well we normally HAVE A RUFF PLAN but I always just ask folk what they want to see and it normally changes mid day anyway ..

the secret to a good ABR meet is easy as can be with few just a few pointers on grub and pubs around about and let folk please them selves..

your choice...
No worries Tramp..i'm happy to go with the flow..but i need something to do at work all day..so i'm thinking about this thing.

I know some people will come a long way for this and i want to show off this part of the world. For me i'm happy with a bowl of porridge on me trangia and the chinese..well i can live of that stuff so i'm easy sorted.

I know i can't give everything to everybody and keep everybody happy but if anybody wants something in particulr at the doo then this is the time to speak out.

And don't worry as i'm not going to marching about at the thing like a certain german public speaker from the 30's and 40's...when not on me bike i'll be sat in me chair with a glass of something nice.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

I'd just point out that "the Plain' is ideal for big bikes/inexperienced riders, but there are also many more miles of more scenic and challenging byways and UCRs around and about that are suitable for smaller trail bikes or more experienced riders of bigger bikes with better tyres.
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

I don't know many of the routes off the plain so if it's ok with you chaps i shall bow to your knowledge of such and get some ideas fomr you nearer the time.

One palce i think most people would like is to have an ice cream on the top of westbury white horse..if the weather is nice of course.

Mike
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

Rght i'm off to Toulouse chaps so i'll be back on Wednesday. It's my nephews 18th on Monday.

byee for now

Mike
stevewatkin

Post by stevewatkin »

Mike101 wrote:
I know some people will come a long way for this and i want to show off this part of the world. For me i'm happy with a bowl of porridge on me trangia and the chinese..well i can live of that stuff so i'm easy sorted.

Mike
Me too ;)
Honda CB500 (1997)

Honda CG125 (1996)

Honda C90 (2001)

Orpington, UK.
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

Wilts routes are relatively easy to find. Loads of byways, mostly properly signed and Wilts Council has a map which also lists those that are TRO'd etc.

Gray of SW TRF has 2 routes all on electronic mapping, each of which is a good long day of varied riding with nothing too horrible in terms of bike-stopping.

Return to β€œABR Salisbury Plain Rally 15th - 17th August 2014”