ABR Island Rally

beddowsm

ABR Island Rally

Post by beddowsm »

This is a unique event taking place at Piel Island on the 1st and 2nd June.
More information to follow later, but a quick intro……

Piel Island is located in estuary just South of Barrow-In-Furness in the South Lakes. Twice a day the island is surrounded by water as the tide rises. This event will be a unique opportunity to be “stranded” on the island for the night.

ABR has permission to ride over the sands on mass to the island on this weekend only. This is a privilege and is not available under normal circumstances.

Departing the mainland at 13:30 for the crossing (one large group only), the afternoon and evening will be spent on the island and once the tide goes out on Sunday morning the bikes will depart.

From http://www.pielisland.co.uk/ .....

Situated on the tip of the Furness Peninsula, Piel Island is a jewel that the traveller can stumble across and be won over forever, by this charming little fifty acre island. For it has a King, a Castle and a Pub, all steeped in history waiting to be discovered by you.

More to follow later.......................
beddowsm

Re: ABR Island Rally

Post by beddowsm »

Details…..as time progresses Ill turn this post into a more formal ABR Rally thread inline with the format of the other rallies)…..but for now the fun part…
a.jpg
a.jpg (22.77 KiB) Viewed 7498 times
b.jpg
b.jpg (99.54 KiB) Viewed 7498 times

This event has previously been run by AustinW via the XRV forum. Here are the ride reports for the 2010 and 2011 events.

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/ride-repor ... 011-a.html

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/ride-repor ... sland.html

The format will be as follows

Saturday 1st June……….riders will meet at a designated meet point and various rides will take place through the Lakes en route to the crossing point. At approx 13:30 all will meet at the crossing point just South of Barrow-In-Furness to cross the Sands as one large group.

At an estimated 14:00 we will all be on the Island to setup tents and get the beers in. The tide will come in and we will effectively be cut off. The Island is fantastic, about 50 acres and can be walked around in about 20 minutes.

Sunday 2nd June………..lazy morning, recover from hangovers and decamp. Approx 11:45 we will leave as one large group to return across the sands.

The Island has basic facilities. There’s a toilet block and a field to camp in (£5 per tent). There’s a pub, a castle and a few residential houses. The pub does have accommodation options, 3 rooms and a couple of bunk rooms. See website for more details. www.pielisland.co.uk.

Now the serious bit………….The island is privately owned and we are being invited to cross the sands at our own risk. This crossing is not a legal road or byway and everyone who attends crosses at their own risk. No liability will fall on ABR or the owners of Piel Island. We will cross the sands as a group, no one is to cross solo. Once on the island we will follow a designated route to the rally field. Once there bikes will be parked up and then left until it is time to leave. Riding round the island is NOT permitted under any circumstance.

The Crossing…………the first 100 meters or so is the tricky bit. The mud is very slippery and drops can easily occur. But those with no off-road experience can still cross if care is taken. Take things slow and steady and walk with the bike if needed. Once passed the tricky part the sands will be firm if you stick to the main route. Take an alternative route and risk getting the bike bogged in deep sand. And as the latest we can cross is 14:00 this means the tide will get to the bike before a rescue. So, I will be leading to define the route.
1b.JPG
1b.JPG (36.68 KiB) Viewed 7498 times
2_2013-01-16.JPG
2_2013-01-16.JPG (60.54 KiB) Viewed 7498 times
3_2013-01-16.JPG
3_2013-01-16.JPG (39.64 KiB) Viewed 7498 times
4_2013-01-16.JPG
4_2013-01-16.JPG (33.65 KiB) Viewed 7498 times
5_2013-01-16.JPG
5_2013-01-16.JPG (35.64 KiB) Viewed 7498 times

REMEMBER – you are crossing a route that gets covered by SALT water. If we cross within the safe tide times and travel slow this will result in less salt splash. But the way I see it, is it really any different than riding during a normal British winter? The roads are covered in salt. And on the Sunday, make it a priority to wash the bike as soon as you return.

OFFROAD – I will be camping “location TBD” in the Lakes on the Friday before. Early Saturday I will be happy to lead a group of riders on the local Trails (will need to be very off road competent as the trails in this area are fairly tough in sections). More details to follow. And on the Sunday, when we get back to the mainland I will once again be heading for the trails on the way home.

This is a fantastic opportunity to do what so few have done before.
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Attendees - no limit, the more the merrier.

Anyone volunteer to lead a ride on the way to the island please let me know. (we only have until 13:30 but the high passes over the hills in the Lakes are fantastic and well worth the ride). And I'll be leading a more technical off road route.

1) Beddowsm (trail ride lead)
2) dave_ac
3) MarkN
4) JimboF650
5) Orsoncarts
6) Teej
7) foz1969
8) Vader
9) MikeXRV
10) Browndog
11) Mikeyboy
12) Bazza
13) Rederic
14) Simply Exploring
15) Orlando Orange
16) Husabang
17) ktmchris
18) Africa John
19) Stubbsie
20) Gothbiker
21) Kojak
22) Lord Sut
23) Sykesy
24) tea007
25) Peejay
26) Tenere Mart
27) anthony29040
28) Sparkton
29) Banzai
30) JimmyShin
31) Nikko
32) Shrek
33) Wayne Rome
34) stevied
35) picos mestizo
36) Al danby
37) Laughing Gravy
38) JohnC
39) SteveR
40) PeterPan
41) madcow
42) kito
43) nothingtosee
Gavinskii

Post by Gavinskii »

Mike, I've read about this before - yes please B)
R1150GS

Montesa 4Ride

KLX 250

Suzuki Beamish

2011 Nature Rally - Bronze Award
dave_ac

Post by dave_ac »

Me to
Gavinskii

Post by Gavinskii »

Gavinskii wrote:Mike, I've read about this before - yes please B)
Bollox, this clashes with Horizons Unlimited meet (that I've already paid for) - so another time unless the date shifts :unsure:
R1150GS

Montesa 4Ride

KLX 250

Suzuki Beamish

2011 Nature Rally - Bronze Award
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

The wife's in Holland that weekend, so I'm in please.
JimboF650

Post by JimboF650 »

That's looks fun. Can I put myself down as a maybe - got the following week booked off work so might be doing a proper holiday with the other half. I see what I can wangle :evil: .
I've been watching the dakar so hopefully will be able to make it across :laugh: .
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

I'll keep Post 2 updated with any detail changes, and notify attendees using this thread. Some vids of us crossing the sands in 2011. My wife was pillion and filming.
Orsoncarts

Post by Orsoncarts »

Please put me and Teej down for this Mike, sounds fantastic, well done mate :woohoo:
Steve
I have absolutely no idea how to add a signature....!

Return to “June 2013 - ABR 'Island' Rally at Piel Island 1st - 2nd June”