Mid-Summer Madness - Steve T's RR & Photo's

Steve T

Mid-Summer Madness - Steve T's RR & Photo's

Post by Steve T »

ABR Mid Summer Madness Rally – Gairloch 2014

Well, seeing as I didn’t get to the Boil rally this year, I thought I’d better attend the Gairloch rally (plus it’s nearer to me)

Here we see the Transalp loaded up for it’s first rally. The small 21ltr boxes do kind of restrict the carrying capacity, even with the 45ltr topbox on board, hence the 60ltr Lomo bag.

Took a fairly scenic route through to the campsite, dodging tourists in hire cars as I made my way into the hills, finally getting to the site just before 6pm. Here we see the tent lines, shortly after my arrival – counted 17 machines in the line up – not too bad a turn out.

As usual when riders gather, they talk ballicks and bikes without any encouragement.

The most interesting machine combo was this one – Buddy’s Box on an 1150 GS.

And here is Buddy in residence, just before going for a rideout with his driver on the Saturday morning . . . . .

The idea for the rally was to be here during the longest day – the summer solstice. This picture, un-flash assisted – was taken at around 11pm on Friday night.

It was so light at night that never once was a flash light or torch required through any of the two nights I stayed.

Here is a view of the tent lines on Saturday morning, pre-ride out.

Ian – aka Mabawza, has arranged a little fishing trip high in the hills above Poolewe, on a private loch, which required access to private tracks to access it. Rederic, Ian and myself set off to ascend the heights, taking in a few miles of the local twisties to get where we were going. 1st stop, to check out the view on route to the loch . . .

And with an Alp in the way . . . .

This is the view of the jetty and boat house up at the loch . . . . .

Ian did his captain Pugwash thing and got the boat emptied of excess water and brought it round to the jetty for the loading of Rederic & rods . . . . .

I waved the intrepid fishermen off, glad to have my feet still on dry ground. So glad, I decided I needed a coffee . . . . . .

Time to find a small track that Ian had shown me on a map, that leads to a desolate, dilapidated settlement at Slaggan Bay. Man & machine in perfect balance!

And the machine with a view . . . . .

Various pictures of the ride down to the road along a secluded glen track . . . . . .

After another short (for me anyway) ride, I found the target track to Slaggan bay. Me posing on machine again, this time over looking a small lochan along side the Slaggan track . . . . .

And the Alp doing the same . . . .

A view down the track to the settlement and the bay

The gate sported a really rusty lock and chain. But it was enough for me, so I took the hint and turned the bike around before wandering down to the bay for a look-see.

Once I’d done the tourist bit at the bay and wandered back to the bike, whilst thinking about knocking up another brew, when headlights appeared over the hills from whence I came . . . . . and these two reprobates where riding them . . . Steve 172 and his dad Alistair.

Here are their steads – Steve rides the 700 Alp

Once we’d blethered a bit, we headed back up the track. Here’s the father & son team heading out. This was Steves first time off the tar on his Alp . . . .

Here we see the “end of the road”! All legal and above board your honour. . . . . .

Held up a little while on the ride back to Gairloch due to a foreign rider having a head on with a car. One Air ambulance later and maybe another 30 minutes and several million midges, the Feds let us past the impact site.

Took a walk into the village in the evening and took this shot of Gairloch bay . . . . .

Ian & Rederic returned with a full bag of trout for their efforts on the loch. Many folk enjoyed freshly cooked brown trout that evening – Cheers fellas.

Onto Sunday and the site started to empty of riders quite early, due to the large distance having to be travelled by most riders. By 10am all but myself, Steve and his dad were left. The site was left fantastically clean – thanks troops – and Ian was on hand to wish all except the really early departures a safe ride home.

Did a few more miles on the way home – in constant drizzle/rain for the whole ride. Still took the scenic route home though . . . . .

This, the last photo, is along side the river Findhorn, up near Drenechen.

A really great, relaxing weekend, due in no small part to Ian (mabawza) and his pre-event organising and arrangements. Great to put names to faces and to be able to experience even more less travelled tracks in the highlands.

Steve T

B)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
mabawza

Re: Mid-Summer Madness - Steve T's RR & Photo's

Post by mabawza »

Cracking photos and report Steve glad you enjoyed your weekend
cheers Ian (thumbs)
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Great report/fantastic pics. Thanks for posting Steve
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

Looks like a great weekend pity i missed it
but have other plans and trips to do

Looking good there Ian on the boat

cheers davy
moto al

Post by moto al »

I'm glad you enjoyed it ,I'm sorry I wasn't fit enough to attend , many thanks Ian.cheers al (thumbs)
moto al
yoda

Post by yoda »

nice write up and pic's, thanks.
Chaos is the only camouflage that incompetence needs to operate at full capacity.

I dunno where that road goes, might as well go take a look anyway there's no where else i need to be right now.
uturntony

Post by uturntony »

great pictures (thumbs)
the fish were lovely even though it was me who cooked them :whistle: at least nobody died from food poisoning, yet :sick:
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

What a great write up, it looked like a lovely relaxing weekend.

I'm very jealous.

Can't wait for ABR Midlands now :)
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Great report Steve, how do you find that Lomo bag? I need a new waterproof bag and they look like a good deal.

Bob.
one-legged adventurer
bimota

Post by bimota »

bob,
i bought one of ebay £23 for 60l massive got my tent in it all my camping equipment and got caught in a down poor coming home from the ferry on the m4, not a drop got in they do different sizes but its a bargain.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60L-Dry-bag-h ... 3ce1be2b89

great bag.

rob

Return to “ABR Midsummer madness. Scotland. 20-22nd June 2014”