Value for Money:

Was this review helpful to you?
Yes No
Reviewed by Alistair Burrows
December 08, 2011
Report this review

1 of 2 people found the following review helpful

My first Dero but probably not my last.
Owned a Pan before this and although a great tourer it was so bland and characterless, not so the Varadero.

Lovely V-Twin engine is full of character, mine is the post 2003 model with 6spd gearbox and fuel injection, which makes it a lot better for long distance work than the previous model.

It is all day comfortable and the high riding position does give you a commanding view of the road ahead.

There are any number of touring/adventure accessories available for it, and worth while looking for a bike with them done or at least prepare to do them yourself.
I have full set of Givi hard luggage fitted, 2 marine power sockets fitted for sat nav etc.. engine crash bars, renthal handlebars, handguards, digital voltmeter ( to keep an eye on the only dodgy Honda part... the regulator/rectifier ), digi gear indicator, fender extender, a few more small convenience mods and all add to the personality of this bike.

It is a big heavy brute make no mistake, with full luggage and full tank of petrol I wouldn't like to pick it up after a fall but this soon melts away when the wheels start turning.

If you know what types of roads you'll be riding you could do a lot worse than buy this bike, but it's not a bike to take down dirt trails if you don't know what type of terrian you'll be comong up against, with suitable tyres this bike will go anywhere a BMW GS, Super Tenere etc will, loose gravel trails, pot holed roads etc no problem, wet mud trails, ruts etc... I'd be looking for a different route.
But then again this bike was built to ride all day on everyday roads and real world conditions, it's not an xr400, drz, type bike.

Can thoroughly recommend this bike, and the more I ride it the more I like it.

To write a comment please register or log in.