Hand Guards – a cautionary tale.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hand Guards – a cautionary tale.

Hand Guards – a cautionary tale. 2 years, 3 months ago #129784

• Alun
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
I was speaking to a guy the other day who owns 70 Yam XT's – a combination of R's and Z's. He also owns70 barkbuster guards which are lying idle in one of his sheds. And here's why.

The guy has been running off-road and gravel road tours in Namibia for the past 20 years and in that time has experienced just about every accident it's possible to have many times over and has decided that it's far safer to ride without guards.

The accident which convinced him to strip the guards off the bikes happened to an experienced enduro rider who's hand slipped off the throttle and between the guard and the bar; the bike went one way and he went the other, the result was his hand hanging by a strip of skin and a couple of veins.

He was only travelling at about 15mph at the time and was the last of many such (not as serious) accidents involving handguards. As Ralph the owner of the bikes told me; better to have busted knuckles than a severed hand.
Too many places, not enough time

Suzuki DRZ400E, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by Alun.

Re: Hand Guards – a cautionary tale. 2 years, 3 months ago #129786

Tricky one....

I feel that guy was very unlucky. Sounds like a one in a million accident but alas, it still happens.

I'm one of those who's had his hand saved a fair few times by good solid hand guards (Rally pro, barkbusters etc). I've been clipped by cars a few times. They glanced off instead of catching my handlebar. lucky ??

I've got a large rock shaped crack/hole in one of my old Acerbis guard from a spat up rock from a truck in Colombia. I'm sure it would of broken by hand. My headlamp didn't fare as well lol.

I've lost count of how many brake/clutch levers I've saved too. But sure, they're replaceable.

'Brush' guards are perhaps a good compromise. They save your bike becoming tangled on undergrowth and and keep the weather off without being solidly attached to the end of the bar. Like the stock ones on my 955 Tiger.

I guess you make your own decision based on how n' where you ride...
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by *Touring Ted*.

Re: Hand Guards – a cautionary tale. 2 years, 3 months ago #129787

• Alun
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
*Touring Ted* wrote:
Tricky one....

I guess you make your own decision on how n' where you ride...

+1
Too many places, not enough time

Suzuki DRZ400E, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere

Re: Hand Guards – a cautionary tale. 2 years, 3 months ago #129804

This reminds me of the Motorcycle Trials & Scrambles scene in the 70's. Nearly everybody used Dunlop Industrial Wellington Boots with the shin & ankle reinforcements & "STEEL TOECAPS" (ToeTectors).

Apparently somebody had their foot crushed in a pair & the steel toecap collapsed & cut the guy's toes off.(Must have had an argument with a stem roller)
How true this was I don't know but everybody carried on using them & Steel Toecaps seem to form part of the current Industrial Boot Standards.

I think like all protective devices there are exceptions, but they probably save more injuries than they are alledged to have caused.

These are my winter trail wellies.
Dunlop Purofort.
Stainless Steel Toecaps & Inner Soles
Insulated down to -20 degrees
= DRY, WARM Safe Feet. (SUZUKI colour co-ordinated.
IMG_5793.JPG

Brian.
Lightness is everything.

Re: Hand Guards – a cautionary tale. 2 years, 3 months ago #129808

• Itchy
  • 1200cc
picos mestizo wrote:
This reminds me of the Motorcycle Trials & Scrambles scene in the 70's. Nearly everybody used Dunlop Industrial Wellington Boots with the shin & ankle reinforcements & "STEEL TOECAPS" (ToeTectors).

Apparently somebody had their foot crushed in a pair & the steel toecap collapsed & cut the guy's toes off.(Must have had an argument with a stem roller)
How true this was I don't know but everybody carried on using them & Steel Toecaps seem to form part of the current Industrial Boot Standards.

I think like all protective devices there are exceptions, but they probably save more injuries than they are alledged to have caused.

These are my winter trail wellies.
Dunlop Purofort.
Stainless Steel Toecaps & Inner Soles
Insulated down to -20 degrees
= DRY, WARM Safe Feet. (SUZUKI colour co-ordinated.
IMG_5793.JPG

Brian.

Was that you at Chiltern then? someone had yellow wellies on.

Vstrom1000 & Bandit600
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by Itchy.

Re: Hand Guards – a cautionary tale. 2 years, 3 months ago #129814

You got me Itchy.
I do have some serious MX boots. But believe me these are better & they do come in other colours. The forces alpine troops use the white ones with blue soles.
At least they're a conversation piece - "Who's the old prat in the yellow boots"
Lightness is everything.

Re: Hand Guards – a cautionary tale. 2 years, 3 months ago #129815

I can remember back in the 70's (as a wee bairn honest) when Jimmy Saville did his "Clunk Click before every trip" campaign as it became mandatory to wear a seatbelt while travelling in the FRONT of cars....the naysayers were out in force then too, citing miracle escape stories of when mighty oak trees landed on cars in stormy weather and the occupants were only able to escape as they weren't wearing seatbelts
R1150GS AJP PR4 200
Scorpa SY250 Long Range TY175 Twinshock
Loncin 110
2011 Nature Rally - Bronze Award

Re: Hand Guards – a cautionary tale. 2 years, 3 months ago #129838

• exrm193
  • 1200cc
Thats got to be a 1 in a 1,000,000 accident.

On the other hand, The number of trees that I have twatted whilst riding, and hand guards have saved me....I'm on the other side of the fence.

Re: Hand Guards – a cautionary tale. 2 years, 3 months ago #129841

It hurts like hell when you hit a gatepost without guards on too
Read somewhere about hard knuckle protectors in gloves were some guy hit his hand so hard the protector compressed so much it severed his fingers.
I have been lucky i guess as i have done the full half pike and triple forward roll over the bars a couple of times but ejected cleanly the above scenario dont bear thinking about
Just bikes for me ta

Re: Hand Guards – a cautionary tale. 2 years, 3 months ago #129843

Ive heard loads of horror stories about rap around hand guards when I was into motocross, so there must be something in it.
But like everything you have to way up the risk of something happening to the chances of something happening.

I like rap around guards because they protect my levers in silly falls. Nothing worse than cutting a day short because you bike fell over.

At least loosing a hand is a good reason to cut the day short.
KTM 950 ADVENTURE
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.61 seconds