Adventure Bike Rider

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Hi, you're seeing this message as you've no Flash Player installed

Coast to Coast :) ..... long distance trip out :)
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Coast to Coast :) ..... long distance trip out :)

Coast to Coast :) ..... long distance trip out :) 2 years ago #127911

As a keen cyclist ive always wanted to ride the coast to coast (st bees to robin hood bay) but never got round to it ..... but since ive had my varadero I`ve been thinking about doing a similar thing on that instead of pedal power .... has anyone ever fancied doing a similar long distance trip on there baby vara ?
the route is 160 + miles coast to coast, but passes through some of the most spectacular scenery the uk has to offer ..... lake district,yorkshire dales and moors national parks etc and can be tweaked to include even more
Biggest thing for me is getting to the start point as i live in Birmingham and so have a 240 mile ride before I start !! ...... and then 190 miles back home after !! ....
Is this a bit much for the bike/rider over say 3 days ??
The furthest ive rode my bike in one day is 95 miles and that was ok ....
any advise etc would be good .
Cheers Tony

Re: Coast to Coast :) ..... long distance trip out :) 2 years ago #127916

• Paul
  • NOW ONLINE
  • 1200cc
560 miles Total! Should be ok in three days. I suppose the biggest problem is day one. 240 miles seems a long way on a 125, but no reason you can't do it. If you think, even on a bigger bike your average speed is dictated by the traffic and route and is often restricted to 50-60mph.
I think that the more time you have the better, you don't want your ride to pass in a blur.

Just to add, if you need to stop en-route on your "coast to coast" we have a campsite at Kirkby Stephen on the Wainwright route. Takoda Camping 017683 72587

All the best, Paul.

Re: Coast to Coast :) ..... long distance trip out :) 2 years ago #127920

• Sykesy
  • 1200cc
Ive done the offroad route Coast to Coast from St Bee's to Robin Hoods Bay on Mountain bike. Did it all in 3 days. Route went over the highest points all the way. Very Hard!

But....... whilst we were doing it, we kept running into a small group of DR riders doing a similar route. We did actually beat them, as one of their riders came off on a section and ended up in Hosp. I wouldnt fancy cycling it again, but id defo be up for it on motorbike.

a friend is someone who bails you out of jail, But a BEST friend is the person sitting beside you saying...'that was fu**ing awesome'!!!!!!!

Re: Coast to Coast :) ..... long distance trip out :) 2 years ago #127945

• Pauln
  • 250cc
Well if any of you are feeling really keen there is a one day cycle-
www.opencycling.com

Not much training time left!
There will also be another multi-sport event next year as well.

Paul.

Re: Coast to Coast :) ..... long distance trip out :) 2 years ago #127964

The Big Trailbike Club do a National Coast to Coast Run, this year it's on Sept 22 to 24th Sept 1012. Details on their website. Going from Whitby N. Yorks to Glasson Dock, Lancashire.

Th'Ol' man did the run a couple of times on his DR650, then his Aprilia Pegaso 650 before he retired to less vigarous sports, and spoke very highly of it. I kinda fancied it myself but never got round to joining up and joining in.

www.bigtrailbike.com/ click on What's happening in 2012, and scroll down to September.

2002 Panzer 1150GS
2002 Suzie DRZ400S

Everyone brings joy! ....some by arriving....others by leaving...

Care about biking? MAG UK!
Care about rights of way? Trail Riders Fellowship!

Re: Coast to Coast :) ..... long distance trip out :) 2 years ago #127976

• Mul001
  • 1200cc
Tony, I used to live in St Bees. If you need any info on where to stay, or not to stay, and stuff drop me a line. I also know most of the local good real Ale Pubs if you need help with the Alcohol side of things too.

The Peddly Bike C2C starts in Whitehaven not St Bees but you could of course do the Extra 3 miles.

Plenty of folks peddly bike it in a day so even 40- 50 mph with stops and views is easily doable in a day.

Cheers Mul.

Re: Coast to Coast :) ..... long distance trip out :) 2 years ago #127983

• Sykesy
  • 1200cc
The Peddly Bike C2C starts in Whitehaven not St Bees but you could of course do the Extra 3 miles.

Plenty of folks peddly bike it in a day so even 40- 50 mph with stops and views is easily doable in a day.

Cheers Mul.[/quote]

The offroad (peddly) mountain bike route has always started at St Bee's. 315 miles to Robin Hoods Bay. We did it in 3 days with approx 14 hours cycling/scrambling/walking and falling per day. I would NEVER do it again, but at the time i did it, i was unaware i had 3 duodenal ulcers eating me away...apart from the severe pain i was in and the fact i couldnt eat anything!
Im all better now, but would still never offroad cycle it again.
The first and original off road route is still available by Tim Woodcock.

a friend is someone who bails you out of jail, But a BEST friend is the person sitting beside you saying...'that was fu**ing awesome'!!!!!!!

Re: Coast to Coast :) ..... long distance trip out :) 2 years ago #127988

You could easliy do that in three days, ive just done 565 miles in three days (on a YBR 125). Although you have to be carefull not be rushing everywhere i.e. dont be too strict on your self in regards to where you will be each night or youll just take all the fun out of it.

Ride safe
Cheers

Toblerone
'13 Kawasaki Versys
'01 Honda C90

Everything Happens for a Reason
Live n' let Live

www.slickpic.com/u/Toblerone

Re: Coast to Coast :) ..... long distance trip out :) 2 years ago #128045

• davsato
  • Everyone knows at least one Dave
youve set yourself a good target there for your first trip, far enough and interesting enough to be worth doing without going mad.
I dont know the area as well as these lads so i cant comment on routes or where to go, but i will say youve got time on your side, no need to feel youve got to be somewhere else, take the roads less travelled and i always get caught up in the riding and end up thinking 'that was a lovely area, why didnt i stop and take some pics?'. Stop and smell the roses occasionally
Dave
Fareham, Hants.
i am not a cockerney, london is up north to me
Varadero XL1000VA6

Re: Coast to Coast :) ..... long distance trip out :) 2 years ago #128047

Myself the Mrs and her retired mom walked it. Not sure I would like to cycle it but having a go on a light weight bike sounds interesting good luck dont forget to post a RR cheers Spud
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds