Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Hi, you're seeing this message as you've no Flash Player installed

New BMW G650GS
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: New BMW G650GS

Re: New BMW G650GS 3 years, 1 month ago #66837

enjoy! nothing worse than having problems with your pride and joy!

Re: New BMW G650GS 3 years, 1 month ago #66862

fionaann wrote:
Hi guys and girls, well i got my G650GS back today, yyyyyyyyyiiiiiiiiiippppppppeeeeeeeeeeeee, bmw dealer has had it since a week past wed, they got the software they needed for the bike, just glad to have her home, lets hope she runs ok now, i did take her out for a spin earlier and she ran fine,

I hope you have faultless Riding for ever IMAO,

I hope all is Ok now and you get miles of smiles

you get faults on a bike and chinese whispers and confusion start about a bike old F650 new G650, old F650 new F650GS twin 800

I know I guy who has a f650Gs twin 800 like me but he has had all the problems you could think of BMW assistance galore. The good news is he now has another different colour albeit and its lovely Jubly

Mines a keeper and to date fingers crossed its a beauty and pleasure to ride

On the whole F650 GS single great bike many been RTW so many out there, G650 I think its great a great seller fair price its epic. My F650 Gs twin 800 its a little stonker (crouching Tiger hidden Gem).

Heres to the 650 and thank you BMW
I like it here [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm enjoying the BMW F800GS (The Grey one)

Re: New BMW G650GS 3 years ago #72395

• IainD
  • 800cc
Hope you all have better luck than me, the G has now gone back to the dealers and I now have an F650 on order as a replacement. More money to spend, but there was no way I was getting back on the G, too many issues.

If buying a nearly new G in Central Scotland, beware it may be my old one!

BMW finally admitted to the hot starting problem being a known issue, not really happy with them as honesty from the start would have been a better way forward. New camshaft with revised de-compression lever and a software update seems to be the fix.

No fix for the dodgy gearbox though, or the bouncy rev counter, or the rusty frame, or the shadow on the instrument panel and no reason given for the complete rear shock failure, ho hum.....

The saga is at an end, hopefully the F will be OK

Re: New BMW G650GS 2 years, 11 months ago #78611

• Bumpy
  • 50cc
IainD wrote:

BMW finally admitted to the hot starting problem being a known issue, not really happy with them as honesty from the start would have been a better way forward. New camshaft with revised de-compression lever and a software update seems to be the fix.

Not in every case its not. My bike has had the following:

Two new camshafts
Three new sets of de-compression counterweights
New starter solenoid
New starter motor
New high-current electrical cables from battery to starter and to earth
New cam chain tensioner
Two and a half weeks in the workshop

AND STILL IT WONT START

Re: New BMW G650GS 2 years, 11 months ago #78614

its a shame the staring issues and such im sure but reading through the thread its the fork failures that are the most upsetting

i googled it and there s more than a few i found it quite alarming as they seem to let go without warning just riding along on the tarmack

but the fracture point in the same place is the common denomanator
dont know what model it is but
the swingarm one doesnt look great either ..
not reasuring for somone that may be interested in the setao when it appeears

By minkyhead at 2011-11-01

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by minkyhead.

Re: New BMW G650GS 2 years, 11 months ago #78624

• Bumpy
  • 50cc
I think on the most recent G650GS there has been only one well debated incident of front fork failure. The cause looks far from simple to understand, with a bent axle and no evidence of impact!

The lady owner has gone very quiet - probably signed a settlement agreement with BMW.

So unless other failures manifest themselves I am very happy to ride mine, if I ever get it back.

Re: New BMW G650GS 2 years, 11 months ago #78642

• The Spanish Biker
  • NOW ONLINE
  • 1200cc
  • The invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain
That bike with the broken swing arm is a G650 X-Country just like mine!

The owner has taken off the reg footpegs so it must be the early model but in any event I guess the sweing arem is the same - in real life it looks fantastic - but that's a very alarming prospect.

Can you post the link to the story behind the disaster, Minkyhead?*

Back onto the 'new' GS - sounds like a lot of huge problems, none of which were suffered by the 'X' range, X-Country, X-Moto (a daft idea!) and the apparenlty indestructible X-Challenge - the latter has the same swing arm but much more beefy susepension, so more doubts aboiut that shattered mounding!

Cheers

Simon
* PS - don't worry I just found it for myself - intersting reading, especially as the root cause seems to be the factory fitted rear shock. I thought it was only me, but I had to replace this after just 18,000 kms and, like this guy, went for Wilbers replacement, which is fantastic.

Coming back onto the topic - it looks like BMW is really bottomong oiut on its quality control - which is pretty much why I bought a Beemer at all! I looked at and sat on the 'new' G650 when it came out and thought it was c***, now I'm certain! But I'm told the 'new' Dakar has the chassis from the 'X' range. Does anyone know about these bikes?

The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up.
Paul Valery (obscure, dead French philosopher!)

Tomorrow is too late (that's mine folks!)

Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by The Spanish Biker.

Re: New BMW G650GS 2 years, 11 months ago #78651

Bumpy wrote:
I think on the most recent G650GS there has been only one well debated incident of front fork failure. The cause looks far from simple to understand, with a bent axle and no evidence of impact!

The lady owner has gone very quiet - probably signed a settlement agreement with BMW.

So unless other failures manifest themselves I am very happy to ride mine, if I ever get it back.

i think you are right bump ..i only picked up what i read on this thread
the silver forks pictured are from a 2002 dakar with the same problem
i mean theres pleanty of 650s around i know
i just found the pictures pretty alarming ..it obviously rare but they are stong images for sure
thres a few threads on it dotted around one yank site was logging 7 failures in 4000 bikes .. there is a bit of history chugging around with this fork design for sure but the recurring theme is the point of fracture

www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371650

www.f650.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=8&am...4f4c32&start=225
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by minkyhead.

Re: New BMW G650GS 2 years, 11 months ago #78764

• Bumpy
  • 50cc
It wasn't my intention to help turn this into a thread which rubbishes the G650GS.

Despite the problems I am having this is a great little bike - great fun to ride, good looking, plentiful accessories, great handling, modest cost (for a BMW), very relaxed ride round town, nice low seat etc.

I love it.

Re: New BMW G650GS 2 years, 11 months ago #78790

Glad you're happy with the bike, Fiona's one has been hassle free for months now. Agreed, a great little bike for the money.
Honda, the power of dreams.

Re: New BMW G650GS 2 years, 11 months ago #79630

• Bumpy
  • 50cc
I have a bit of advice to anyone having hot starting issues.

Do not let your bike go in the workshop to get it sorted. BMW have no idea, as yet, how to correct the issue.

My bike is now entering the fourth week in the workshop.

If you want to read the continuing story look here.

www.f650.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?986...50GS-starting-issues
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by Bumpy.

Re: New BMW G650GS - HOT START ISSUE 2 years, 11 months ago #82796

My G650GS has this issue after 137 miles! It turns out that there is a fault with the cam shaft and the decompression lever that operates when the bike starts. So after one day of driving I have a loan bike (a G650GS without the hot start problem so I am assured).
The most interesting thing was the response from the dealer. They quite clearly did not believe I had a fault. Had I tried turning off the alarm system? They found that this was often the cause of the bike failing to start. Clearly I am also too stupid to get up in the morning. They played with the bike for a day and found nothing wrong... the patronising tone from their end during a phone call was deeply irritating. I told them - not good enough, there was a problem and I would take very badly to being stuck outside Tesco for a third noght with a bike that would not start. Then one mechanic, probably with an IQ bigger than his neck size, googled the problem and found that I wasn't the only disgruntled owner. He then did some thinking and followed this with a compression test when the bike was warm. Problem solved though part will take some time to arrive.

Re: New BMW G650GS - HOT START ISSUE 2 years, 11 months ago #82806

• Bumpy
  • 50cc
Have sent you pm. I think they may have diagnosed the problem, but as yet have not solved it.
Chris
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by Bumpy.

Re: New BMW G650GS - HOT START ISSUE 2 years, 11 months ago #82846

The decompression valve fault makes sense. It works when cold but fails when hot. The turn over when hot sounds dreadful (you are turning the engine against full compression)and the garage found the compression test showed a high compression (13 bar I think which is the normal running compression) when it should have been about 8->9 bar on warm start.
The real issue is that this has to be a major design flaw. Apparently the cam that operates the decompression valve is not acting correctly. Needs a redesign? Someone mentioned earlier that this is not quite what one expects from a BMW piece of kit...

Re: New BMW G650GS - HOT START ISSUE 2 years, 11 months ago #82876

A quick comment on this, Fiona's G650GS has covered 4500 miles and hasn't shown any of the issues mentioned here. She had a stalling issue, fixed right away by BMW but the front wheel hasn't fell off and the bike has been abused offroad, the swinging arm is mild steel so won't crack and break in half and the camshaft seems to work just fine.
The bikes in the horror pics in this post aren't G650GS's and shouldn't be portrayed as such. Fiona's bike's just fine and hopefully it'll stay that way.
I appreciate some bikes are having issues but the G650 isn't as bad as some have highlighted on here.
Honda, the power of dreams.
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by africajim.
Time to create page: 0.56 seconds