Adventure Bike Rider

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Hi, you're seeing this message as you've no Flash Player installed

Project Bike Build - Boano Transalp XL650.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Project Bike Build - Boano Transalp XL650.

Project Bike Build - Boano Transalp XL650. 2 years, 8 months ago #114536

• Wilso122
  • 1200cc
  • Better here than there
Have decided to take a 2001 transalp XL650V and mod it to be as its name says Rally Tourer with the emphasis on the Rally and not the Tourer...

Seen plenty of 600 alps modified but not many 650's and this picture was just too inspiring.

So after a long conversation with the very helpful Jonathan at Rugged Roads we came up with a project plan to transform the bike over the next year starting with how it looks but saving a ton of weight from the front end. Loads of other mods are already done (raised, straight through pipes etc) and now its time to strip down and re-spray which will be a home done job.

The fairing is ordered and the bikes in strip down mode for painting. Not expecting this is be quick but aiming to have it all done for the Spanish HISS at the end of May.

Not sure if anyone is interested but thought I would post progress up here let me know

Wilso
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by Wilso122.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snaphappy, herman, moto al, Scilly

Re: Project Bike Build - Boano Transalp XL650. 2 years, 8 months ago #114543

Yes, I would be very interested in your project ..

Please give us a full report of your progress.

subscribed to this thread.

Re: Project Bike Build - Boano Transalp XL650. 2 years, 8 months ago #114544

Yep i will second that, and plenty of pics, love a good story

steve

Re: Project Bike Build - Boano Transalp XL650. 2 years, 8 months ago #114545

Nice one Jez,

If you want it sprayed properly at the right price let me know.
Got a good local contact for you.
R1150GS AJP PR4 200
Scorpa SY250 Long Range TY175 Twinshock
KTM 200 EXC Loncin 110
2011 Nature Rally - Bronze Award

Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by Gavinskii.

Re: Project Bike Build - Boano Transalp XL650. 2 years, 8 months ago #114553

• Selous
  • 1200cc
Third that

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association
www.amma-uk.com

Re: Project Bike Build - Boano Transalp XL650. 2 years, 8 months ago #114560

• GOG 007
  • NOW ONLINE
  • 1200cc
  • Senile Member
Having spent 20 years out of biking, the first bike I had to introduce myself again was a Trannie, so will be very interested in how this project progresses. Whilst I am now a BMW rider, I still have fond memories of the TA and my re-introction to motorcycling. Will follow this thread with interest to see what you and Jonathan can do to the TA Good on you its a fine bike

Re: Project Bike Build - Boano Transalp XL650. 2 years, 8 months ago #114571

• Tramp
  • 1200cc
Cool, was speaking with Rugged Roads at the ace the other weekend amongst other people, he's a good guy and knows hondas well, you just changing the fairing and headstock area or the full front mod, as the suspension is the real weak point.

like a ktm without whitepower it wont excel at anything, so thats what I would change first...have fun

A fairy can fly but only with "wings"
ccm 644 ds...solo adventurer...happiest on the trails
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by Tramp.

Re: Project Bike Build - Boano Transalp XL650. 2 years, 8 months ago #114581

Good one jez. I love a good project build up, so lots of pics and updates please. Look forward to seeing it on the hiss

Re: Project Bike Build - Boano Transalp XL650. 2 years, 8 months ago #114610

• Wilso122
  • 1200cc
  • Better here than there
Great here we go then!!

Firstly Huge thanks to Russ aka Tramp for a crazy amount of advise / weblinks and suggestions. Without it I would have just get yet another KTM Adventure. I worked in bike shops for a while and got my NVQ in mechanics which makes me a competent tweaker but not an expert.... Always wanted to do a project bike and finances have just allowed me to start

Here is the donor bike as it was bought. 2001 Transalp XL650V 45k on the clock full service history / average condition bought for £1.5k

It rides fine and the engine is sweet but there have been a few issues that I will post later.

Tramp: I'm currently sourcing a KTM front end, triples, forks but as I will need, wheel, spindle, caliper etc the budget it will probably have to wait until next year, unless I find something - the hunt is on. Also looking to uprate the rear end, little project Rugged Roads might work on, but not cheap... Also looking to put an 18" rear wheel on it.

Gav - very interested catch up at Bagshot Sunday??

Will take some photos on Saturday of where it is at now as it's already been through some changes....

If anyone in South West London area needs any basic Adventure Bike Servicing done for a donation to funds let me know
Chains, sprockets, oil changes, fork seals, bearings, racks - panniers installed all done for a good price while you wait or help

Re: Project Bike Build - Boano Transalp XL650. 2 years, 8 months ago #114611

• Rhys
  • 1200cc
  • 2 Stroke or nothing!
Time to create page: 0.59 seconds