Adventure Bike Rider

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Hi, you're seeing this message as you've no Flash Player installed

Newbie Head-to-Toe set needed, advice please.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Newbie Head-to-Toe set needed, advice please.

Newbie Head-to-Toe set needed, advice please. 2 years ago #124837

Hello everyone,

I finally got my first bike, it's a baby girl aaaaah...I mean a baby dero 125

I haven't been on here for a few months after picking all your brains about what bike to get and bought the bike less that a week ago.

So now I'm back, and ready to get involved, but I need some clothes and a lid as I'm currently borrowing my neighbours spare lid and gloves and he's going to want them back soon.

Seeing as I have just bought the bike and insured it with no bonus' and living in London, the funds are looking thin now, so my question is this:

I'd like advice from anyone that has tuppence worth to offer of what gear I should get, how much I should spend and from where...?

Some considerations I've been having are, "leathers or textile clothing", "plastic or fibre glass lid", "2nd hand clothes or new", "where should I prioritise my budget", "flip front or full face lid"

I was looking at the Caberg Duke, for an all rounder city lid, but then I hear all the scare stories, and was leaning to a Scorpion Exo 500 (apparantly fibre glass?)I'd love a Shoei, but wouldn't we all?!

I know nothing about clothing, except I'd like it to be waterproof, and to have armour including back inserts and be able to wear it 4 season, by removing fleece/insert during hot weather, is that possible? Oh and lots of pockets, I love pockets.

Id like something that is almost at home off the bike as on, something that could immidiately become a walking/hiking/outdoors jacket. I know I'm asking a lot, but I don't know if such clothing exists.

My budget? "As little as possible, but as much as necessary" aka £300ish for everything. Is that too much to ask? Should I get a good lid and budget clothes and then build up piece by piece as the seasons come around?

As you can see, I'm confused. So any and all advice about lids and clothes is most welcome.

*I have a technical issue with the front disc rubbing/binding, but I think I'm supposed to put that in another section , correct? I think the disc is slightly bent. What to do about that? I have zero bike repair skills, apart from real basics.

Thanks in advance peeps.

Re: Newbie Head-to-Toe set needed, advice please. 2 years ago #124840

I was in the same place as you with about £300 to spend, in the end it means compromise. You have to define priorities and the most important priority is protecting your vitals: head, limbs, etc. style is a poor second on a limited budget. As city riders though, we do have slightly different requirements from long distance tourers. My limited thoughts are:

Helmet: Try before you buy, try loads. Define a style by all means, be it flip-front, dual-sport, open-face. If you find a helmet you like put it on in the shop for a good 20-30 minutes to establish fit. This does two things, first it tells you what it's going to feel like after riding for a while, second if the shop won't let you then you don't want to shop there.

Gloves: Hugely important, often over-looked but crap gloves ruin a ride. The weather should get warmer so for now buy mid-season, which should do for most rides and you can always add inner thermal gloves on a chilly morning. Try loads of pairs for size, look out for finger length particularly, check your is snug (on the pair I borrowed for my CBT the was so long I couldn't push the indicators on because it flexed too much). Aim for waterproof, and breathable, no-one likes a sweaty-handed biker.

Jacket: Get textile, you want versatility and textile gives it, leather on a scorcher in the city turns you into Uncle Ben's Boil-In-The-Bag Biker. Avoid anything with a waterproof drop-liner. Basically that means the jacket itself leaks like a sieve and the liner only keeps you dry. This is a pain in London as a) one day you'll be convinced it won't rain, you'll leave the liner at home and get soaked, b) the wet jacket will way a ton and drop all over your mate's floor/the pub/work. Ignore anyone who says you can buy a non-waterproof biking jacket and just add a cheap waterproof from Millets over the top. In town there's nowhere to pull over, by the time you can, you're soaked. Waterproof oversuits are great, but only if you wear them. Get something with vents, London is hot, you'll get hot and sweaty sitting on the North Circular, and smell, no-one likes a smelly biker in town. Just like cycling you can layer up if it's chilly and most of your outdoor gear will double up. Yes a zip in liner is nice, but balance the cost against using what you already own, you may be better with a lighter bilking jacket and your existing fleece underneath.

Pants: See jacket. You could just wear your old jeans, loads of London bikers do, although they won't protect your skin at all when you come off on Vauxhall Bridge.

Boots: The range is huge, the styles vary enormously. Like helmets try before you buy, walk about in the shop for 20 minutes (while you've got their helmet on too). If you can, sit on your bike to try gear changing etc. Remember protection is more important than style. Get leather, with only £300 total you probably won't get a waterproof, breathable liner, so proof them the old fashioned way with polish or dubbing. As long as the fastenings are well covered a well proofed boot shouldn't leak at city speeds.

Can you do it for £300?

Yes, if you shop wisely, use discount codes, join shop fidelity schemes, buy secondhand (but never your helmet) and haggle. I spent ages shopping for gear and developped a brazen attitude, never afraid to say "It's that your best price?" particularly if buying several items.

Makes to look out for Spada are good AND cheap, RST a bit more expensive, but a bit better thought out, Hein Gericke's own brand isn't a bad place to start either.

Oh, you will end up spending more later. Bike ownership is a way of life, you'll spot new things, better things, winter things, shinier things with more zips. Start saving now, a fiver or tenner a week put aside now means more bike stuff come autumn/winter when you might want something with more zips.
Happiness has 125cc
Last Edit: 2 years ago by Freeloadeur.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BushcraftBarmy

Re: Newbie Head-to-Toe set needed, advice please. 2 years ago #124841

• hornet
  • 1200cc
Not wishing to sound like this

But after no trainning no exams test or otherwise (like everyone else here probably) i was set loose on the great british roads. I was 16 with no road sence or money so i wore wellies, jeans and a ski jacket with a helmet that cost 30 quid and an old pair of leather gloves dad gave me. So it cost 30 quid to kit me out on my FS1 50 cc of mayhem. I rode every day for 18 months 25 mile round trip through rain and snow on tiny back roads.

So for you its nearly summer so a big expencive suit isnt really neaded. Id deffo look at flea bay lots of gear goes very cheap and yes why not use second hand or should i say vintage and if your in london lots of sellers around you perhaps there is an oppertunity to go try before end of auction and strike a bargin.

Even the cheapest new gear will cost you more than 300 for what you will want. look in the bargain bucket at stores also lidl the supermarket do some gear that others on here have rated highly the trousers from memory were very good and cheap as chips.

Im sure other will have ideas as to what you should spend for different items but id agree with Freeloadeur protect your head first then knees ankles elbows shoulders asap

also do read the kit review on here and Also check out Ride magazines reviews(online) they have been doing it a long time and the green triangle you see on clothing does mean its good stuff on the whole

hornet
muddy dirty fun in the sun or rain
Id rather be cleaning my bike than driving a car

The following user(s) said Thank You: BushcraftBarmy, SSchultz

Re: Newbie Head-to-Toe set needed, advice please. 2 years ago #124844

HELMETS.
Yes a very personal part of your equipment.
I've tried & purchased many from Flip to Open face. 50 to 400 pounds.
My favourite is without question the Airoh S4
This is a motorcross style with detachable peak & built in visor.
ACU approved, not too heavy & very rarely mists up.
You should be able to buy one for about 110 pounds.

medscaleAiroh-S4-MX-Enduro-Motocross-Helmet-Round-1.jpg
Lightness is everything.

Re: Newbie Head-to-Toe set needed, advice please. 2 years ago #124874

• Loggy
  • 1200cc
I've been doing a lot of research and two brands come out punching a lot higher than their weight. Thats Spada and Richa. Looking at the reviews Richa seems to have the edge on Spada but both are cheap and do everything well enough. Both are fitted with CE approved armour and come with waterproof liner and thermal liner (at these prices unfortunately I don't think you will get a jacket that will be waterproof on the outside, but will have the waterproof liner) I'm still trying to find a dealer that has what I'm looking for in stock so that I can try it on. I'm just going to add some waterproofer to the jacket and trousers to make them at least able to fend off a shower. You can buy ex Army Gortex waterproofs that can do the job of keepng the outside dry for very few pounds.

www.spadaclothing.co.uk/

www.nevism.co.uk/content.asp?sid=62&...erBy=&allProds=1
Honda Africa Twin RD07A in Red/White/Blue
Army - Bedford MJ Radar Repair Workshop
RAF - Land Rover Defender 110 FFR
Toyota Hilux 3.0lt
Last Edit: 2 years ago by Loggy.

Re: Newbie Head-to-Toe set needed, advice please. 2 years ago #124894

Hi again Mr Loadeur!

Many thanks for the well constructed advice. Only a short reply as I'm doing more research which is very time conusming as you'll know.

I wonder if you or anyone can tell me what is the design function of a dual sport lid? I can appreciate that the visor can keep the rain of the shield aiding vision, but what's with the unique styling? Can you explain the functionality of them as they are in a class of their own for a reason, I just can't spot the reasons?

I'm sure it was born of a race inspired feedback from pro-riders, but do us casuals really need the characteristics, or are we buying into a psona and in reality looking like Storm-Troopers, or as civilians might call us, "Bell-Ends"? I certainly don't want to be viewed in that manner, so would only get a dual-sport if I can validate practical logic and reasoning.

Discount codes you say? Where? I want some!

I'm sure we'll chat more, thanks again. "Short reply", did I say that?!

Re: Newbie Head-to-Toe set needed, advice please. 2 years ago #124897

@ Hornet

Funny vid, Monty P is great!

I am aware summer is coming, so uber warm layers aren't a necessity, and as I have been riding peddle bikes for many many years, I have lots of suitable base/mid layers to hand (Helle Hansen, Seal Skinz, high wicking sport-fit mid layers, various thickness fleece layers etc) and two, if knackered, Goretex jackets to serve as a barrier between me and whoever is upstairs that doesn't know where the toilet is..

But, and it's a big BUT, I need armour, and that only comes in true motorbike gear. So I figure, why buy summer light stuff, when I can get something that will see me for more seasons and be cost effective in the long run? I'm going to invest most of my cash in the lid, that's a no brainer (da-dum tch!) and whatever is left over jacket, then gloves and finally last but not least, trousers.

So I wonder why you said I don't need a big suit? I am asking naive questions, but my logic tells me get a suit even though it's getting warmer.

Many thanks for the input.
Last Edit: 2 years ago by BushcraftBarmy. Reason: To tag recipient

Re: Newbie Head-to-Toe set needed, advice please. 2 years ago #124900

picos mestizo wrote:
HELMETS.
Yes a very personal part of your equipment.
I've tried & purchased many from Flip to Open face. 50 to 400 pounds.
My favourite is without question the Airoh S4
This is a motorcross style with detachable peak & built in visor.
ACU approved, not too heavy & very rarely mists up.
You should be able to buy one for about 110 pounds.

medscaleAiroh-S4-MX-Enduro-Motocross-Helmet-Round-1.jpg

Hi there. Many thanks for your reply.

I wonder what the consensus and your opinion is on dual sport lids? They look great, I have to admit I like the post-apocalyptic, Storm Trooper thing (ok I was a Star Wars baby) but I wonder if onlookers think were frankly, "prats" for trying to look "'ard" ?

Can you explain the practical reasons for owning one, apart from styling?

Cheers.

Re: Newbie Head-to-Toe set needed, advice please. 2 years ago #124901

Loggy wrote:
I've been doing a lot of research and two brands come out punching a lot higher than their weight. Thats Spada and Richa. Looking at the reviews Richa seems to have the edge on Spada but both are cheap and do everything well enough. Both are fitted with CE approved armour and come with waterproof liner and thermal liner (at these prices unfortunately I don't think you will get a jacket that will be waterproof on the outside, but will have the waterproof liner) I'm still trying to find a dealer that has what I'm looking for in stock so that I can try it on. I'm just going to add some waterproofer to the jacket and trousers to make them at least able to fend off a shower. You can buy ex Army Gortex waterproofs that can do the job of keepng the outside dry for very few pounds.

www.spadaclothing.co.uk/

www.nevism.co.uk/content.asp?sid=62&...erBy=&allProds=1

Thanks for the response.

I have noticed Spada popping up a bit in my research, so they are in the running as my purchase.

If biker jackets aren't 100% waterproof, I'm starting to fail to understand the need for them apart from the armour, which you can buy separtely and stick under whatever you want to wear that day, even a Corudra/ripstop shell on a really hot day.

I have plenty of outdoor style jackets, hiking ones, snowboarding ones, a wax farmer style one, so why not just get amrour and use what I have saving money?

Can someone reinfornce the arguement for buying and owning a specific biker designed jacket, and trousers for that matter?

(I do agree on the ex army GT stuff on fleabay, been meaning to get me some for a while)

Re: Newbie Head-to-Toe set needed, advice please. 2 years ago #124902

Dualsport Helmet.
PEAK:- Keeps the sun out of your eyes by tilting your head forward.
When your visor is covered in Dust or Raindrops you can open it & look just under the peak & keep pressing on with the riding.
MOUTH EXTENSION:- Aids unrestricted breathing when the workload is high.
Stops your chin from banging against the inside of the helmet.
Alows access for a drink tube on a long haul.
Once you've worn one you will find the other full face lids very restrictive & you wont go back.
Lightness is everything.
Time to create page: 0.49 seconds