Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Hi, you're seeing this message as you've no Flash Player installed

BMW Sertao
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: BMW Sertao

BMW Sertao 1 year, 10 months ago #186516

Hi,

This is my first post here, I am seeking advice on buying a new bike. I am considering getting a BMW Sertao,I will be using it for 50/50 on/off road.

Most of the off-road will be in and around Baguio and La Union in the Philippines.The terrain is mountainous gravel and dirt roads with numerous river crossings.

I presently ride a locally manufactured Honda XR200, its a great little bike for the trails around here but is very lacking on the tarmac.

Any advice would be helpfull.

Mike.

Re: BMW Sertao 1 year, 10 months ago #186544

• davsato
  • Everyone knows at least one Dave
too many bits have broken and fallen off the MCN test bike, especially at the price bmw want. (IF motorcycle news is to be believed).
dont know what the pricing is like in the phillipines mike, but i would consider spending a lot less on the basic one.
Dave
Fareham, Hants.
i am not a cockerney, london is up north to me
Varadero XL1000VA6

Re: BMW Sertao 1 year, 10 months ago #186550

It's a lot of money for a Chinese bike: and quality problems at BMW's Chinese supplier are what delayed the introduction of the BMW scooters.

If you want a European bike, I'd get a KTM.

Re: BMW Sertao 1 year, 10 months ago #186561

my best mate bought a sertao and i was really impressed. hes had no issues with it at all and i couldnt believe how smooth the gearbox was compared to my xt660z tenere. i couldnt believe it was a single. lovely bike.

Re: BMW Sertao 1 year, 10 months ago #186562

Shame I can't give a personal view on this one, never having ridden the thing, but I was surprised and impressed with the Husqvarna TR650 Terra I saw at the NEC the other week.

From the reviews I have read subsequently it would seem to be the sort of thing you are looking for Modrobbo - with reworked BMW mechanics, it might be just the ticket.

Just a thought.
Pat

Re: BMW Sertao 1 year, 10 months ago #186565

Barcelona Pat wrote:
Shame I can't give a personal view on this one, never having ridden the thing, but I was surprised and impressed with the Husqvarna TR650 Terra I saw at the NEC the other week.

From the reviews I have read subsequently it would seem to be the sort of thing you are looking for Modrobbo - with reworked BMW mechanics, it might be just the ticket.

Just a thought.
Pat

agreed pat. its basically a sertao with same engine and i hear better forks. also very smooth

Re: BMW Sertao 1 year, 10 months ago #186573

I have no personal experience of the Sertao but about 5 years ago I had a BMW F650gs Dakar, the Sertao appears to be the updated version. The Dakar was a great bike, in the 3 years I had it I used it every day for commuting and weekends for touring and very light off road. What a fantastic bike, in 3 years only issue slight leak from oil pressure sensor and a snapped chain (which was my fault for allowing it to stretch that far).

In short, I loved the bike.

Re: BMW Sertao 1 year, 10 months ago #186575

The older Dakar is a much more capable bike

Re: BMW Sertao 1 year, 10 months ago #186581

modrobbo wrote:
Most of the off-road will be in and around Baguio and La Union in the Philippines.The terrain is mountainous gravel and dirt roads with numerous river crossings.

i wouldn't go for any of the street type adventure bike as none of them are build tough enough or have good enough suspension. 690 ktm is what i'd go for (or something similar). basically an enduro bike that is good on the road and built to take the knocks and proper off road work.
the bmw they tested in mcn had quite a few problems and having looked at one in the shop it come across as rather more street oriantated and looked cheap. yup not ridden one so can't say for sure. i have a xt660z but also would not opte for one of those for 50/50 work unless it was open desert type stuff like aus or moroco
XT660Z

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
Last Edit: 1 year, 10 months ago by redbikejohn.

Re: BMW Sertao 1 year, 10 months ago #186583

• Alun
  • Administrator
I had a nice day out on one during the summer - what summer? Can't comment on the long term durability but it was no slouch off road.

bmw20.JPG

bmw4.JPG

BMW3.JPG
Too many places, not enough time

Suzuki DRZ400E, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds